Actual modulator valve

wavector

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger X-Cab 4WD 4.0
1994 A4LD Ranger 4.0L 4X4

I replaced the the vacuum modulator and have had the shifting problems that so many have mentioned. I tried to remove the valve itself the other day and could not get it out as it doesn't move freely. I ended up pushing it in as far as it can go trying to free it up. This fixed the high rpm 1-2 shift, but I have noticed that the 2-3 shift is a little delayed and/or slipping (I'm guessing it because of the valve position). I had the system flushed Wednesday and topped fluids on Saturday (because I has tried to work on the mod valve and lost some fluid in the process). The pin is installed, however the valve itself seems to be hard to remove. I only used snap ring pliers to remove it with no luck coming from inside the cab. I read where I may need needle nose or hemostats to remove the actual valve itself. Are there any of the retaining pins or H-holders for that valve? Or, can I just pull out the valve without destroying anything? Thanks for being here.

I would love to do a VB rebuild using the kits that are available, but I have never done anything like this before, so there's some fear present. This is all new to me, but I think I have the ability to absorb information and transmit it to my hands. I'm at least willing to anyway. I really love learning new stuff and working with my hands.

I'm wondering if you guys think this will be okay for a couple of weeks until I can get some funds and afford to find other transportation to and from work.

Back