adapter for '91 auto to manual x-fer case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adapter for '91 auto to manual x-fer case?

rguy

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 4x4
Regarding my '91 Xplorer, I'm swapping in an auto transmission and would like to reuse my manual transfer case if possible. Was the automatic transmission offered with a manual transfer case? If so, my quest begins for an adapter. If not, I'll use the electric transfer case.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YOu can reuse the manual transfer case on the manual transmission without any problems assuming the manual transmission is 4wd (not 2wd as the tailshaft and tailshaft housing of course are different between the two).

izwack, thats not hwat he asked... he has a manual tranny and manual tcase now, but wnats to swap in an auto tranny and wants to keep the manual tcase

izwack, thats not hwat he asked... he has a manual tranny and manual tcase now, but wnats to swap in an auto tranny and wants to keep the manual tcase
Ok sorry but the inverse is true.

It doesnt matter if the automatic transmission had a manual transfer case or an electric transfer case, as long as its a 4wd transmission it will work as there was only one transmission available for the 1st gen.

Ok sorry but the inverse is true.

It doesnt matter if the automatic transmission had a manual transfer case or an electric transfer case, as long as its a 4wd transmission it will work as there was only one transmission available for the 1st gen.

It will bolt up and work, but the provisions for the manual x-case shifter linkage is not on the automatic tail/x-case adapter.

Attached is a pic of the Manual transmission tail/x-case adapter. The shift pivots on the large bolt on the right side. This bolt will not thread into the automatic transmission tail/x-case adapter because it's way too big. See the next pic of the auto.

Ah thanks for the info rguy!

here is the automatic transmission tail/x-case adapter.

Thats kind of weird.. on the 2nd gen, the bolt was the right diameter but wasnt spaced out far enough. But of course I was using a 1350 shifter, not a 1354

shifter_on_5r55e.jpg

You can see that the rear bolt needs to be about a quarter of an inch back.

BTW if the bolt is too big, the transmission tailshaft is typically made of aluminum or magnesium so they are very easy to drill and tap ;) -- of course assuming there is enough material left to drill/tap.

BTW if the bolt is too big, the transmission tailshaft is typically made of aluminum or magnesium so they are very easy to drill and tap ;) -- of course assuming there is enough material left to drill/tap.

there isn't enough material to drill and tap the auto. tail. Does the 2nd gen have the same auto transmission? If so, I need that tail/x-case adapter.

Thanks.

Rob

It doesnt have EXACTLY the same transmission but the tailshaft housing that you posted looks EXACTLY like the tailshaft housing the 4.0 SOHC's use (the 5R55E was after all derived from the A4LD). So the tailshaft housings are probably the same.

It doesnt have EXACTLY the same transmission but the tailshaft housing that you posted looks EXACTLY like the tailshaft housing the 4.0 SOHC's use (the 5R55E was after all derived from the A4LD). So the tailshaft housings are probably the same.

thanks.

Another snag that I just realized is what to do about the transmission shift cable brackets even if I could swap adapters.

I haven't payed much attention to the electric transfer case discussions, but it seems like the electric transfer case has problems. What is the weak link? It looks like I'll be using the electric transfer case after all.

Rob

The automatic transmission should have all of the bracketry and stuff needed. Of course once the cable goes beyond the transmission, you'll need to start fabbing up your own brackets and mounts -- but it shouldnt be too hard.

THe electric transfer case in the first gen is just as strong as the manual but the problem is in the shifting components as sometimes the unit doesnt go into 4wd, or doesnt com out of 4wd when you need it to.

The automatic transmission should have all of the bracketry and stuff needed. Of course once the cable goes beyond the transmission, you'll need to start fabbing up your own brackets and mounts -- but it shouldnt be too hard.

THe electric transfer case in the first gen is just as strong as the manual but the problem is in the shifting components as sometimes the unit doesnt go into 4wd, or doesnt com out of 4wd when you need it to.

Is the shiftng problem with the electric motor or the transfer case?

Typically the motor .. and the rest of the electrical system.

Just so I don't let any wrong information get out. I want to clarify that the manual transfer case shifter will and did bolt up to the A4LD so I could use the manual transfer case with the automatic transmission. My bad. There was a bracket bolted to the holes in the auto trans for the manual t-case shifter mount that can be disgarded. Once I removed this bracket, everything went together without a problem.

Back