• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Adapter for laptop HD?

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I had a Compaq laptop that died about a year ago. Well, I finally realized that I need some of the info off of the hard drive. Problem is, I cannot start the laptop it was in. So, I took it out to see if I could plug the HD into my new laptop (Toshiba). No luck. The connector on the Compaq's HD is different. I have a connector that will adapt the HD in my toshiba to a desktop, but it will not work on the one from the Compaq. Anyone know how I can get the stuff of this HD? Pictures below are of the hard drive I want to access from my old Compaq laptop:

16202P1010036-med.JPG

16202P1010034-med.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Yup. You were right, Howard. Pulled it right off and there were the standard pins. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
very simple get a 2.5 to 3.5 HD adapter and you can grab the data off a desktop or find a ez-gig expansion card or similar for the laptop.

The adapter looks like this..
9bcb35ae-efb4-11d6-a108-00805fbbb715.gif

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Yup, got one of those. Hooked it up to my PC and all is well. Thanks guys!

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
we use those things constantly at work, had a few go up in smoke *scary when a customers hard drive is connected to it*