• Register Today It's free!

Add a leaf help

AdvanceExpo

Reaction score
City, State
Pineville, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
I am doing an add a leaf today and I need help with the easiest way to install them. I am hoping today will go a lot better than yesterday with the coil springs. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very very simple you do not need to remove the whole spring just the rear and use a few c-clamps..

i've heard its easy to only remove the flex shackle and do it that way..easiet for me was pull the leaf packs off..un botl them..put the add a leaf in with a friend helpin hold everything..line it up and put a new bolt it (go out and get stronger bolts liek grade 8..and get 3/8s kuz the procomp comes with a ****ty bolt and the AAL only has a 3/8in openeing..

i c clamped the leafs after i wedged in the AAL and drove the bolt thru..lined everything up and tightened it down..grinded the tip off (hex head will fit in the leaf seat) and then mushroomed the end with an anvil and small sledge.. then bolt it all rigth back up (after letting it dry kuz i painted em with rustoleum "hammered" black while they were out, and put poly bushings in em)

Well i ended up pulling the whole pack out and separating the leafs and cleaning them. They squeaked a lot because dirt was in between them. I had skyjacker aal's. the only problem we ran into was the nut to the bolt on the bottom side of the pack where the shock plate bolted up. It wouldn't fit through the hole so we bought a rasp and filed the whole out a little bit. Even thing fits like stock but rides a lot better. I would recommend Skyjacker to anyone not only because they are a good company, they are from Louisiana.

Back