• Register Today It's free!

Add adaptive cruise control?

CZ Eddie

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007-2010
Is it possible to somehow rig up an adaptive cruise control to these year Explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not seen anybody on this forum add adaptive cruse control to their 4th gen explorer. I don't think its possible because the 4th gen did not have the option to have factory ACC. Just a quick search of google for aftermarket adaptive cruse control and nothing really comes up. There is a forum for an bmw trying to do the same thing and basically it come down to its going to be expensive but that model had the option to have ACC.

Wish I could be more helpful. It would be a nice feature to be able to add.

To add Adaptive Cruise to any vehicle not equipped is (in general) too expensive to be worth it. Theres no aftermarket ACC systems, so you'd have to pull it from a vehicle with it from the factory. You'd have to pull the radar, parking sensors (at least front), forward collision warning/avoidance systems (whether camera or otherwise) and whatever other system. Itd have to be wired in and the computers reprogrammed to interpret and receive the correct signals, and tell the brakes when to stop and how fast (which would also have to be changed).

In other words, is it possible, yes. But it is a huge and costly undertaking.

would be cheaper just to convert it over to a self diving car

would be cheaper just to convert it over to a self diving car
How would it be cheaper to convert it to a self driving car? There are TONS more involved with a car that is self driving, especially since they need to have adaptive cruise control to not just run into the car ahead of them.

Neither option is really doable.

I think/hope that the self-driving car comment was a joke.

Back