Add Class 3 To V8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Add Class 3 To V8

Anyone know if the factory tow package for the 06 included an auxiliary transmission cooler?

Would be worth adding if you want to help your transmission out.

Depends on the engine. The V8 already has an aux cooler so the tow package adds nothing in that respect. The V6 tow package adds 3.73 gears and an aux trans cooler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96firephoenix,
3rd gen is bolted; 4th gen is welded.
If you need more assurance than those who have already posted, find a 4th gen in a parking lot, and crawl underneath. But it's well known here in the 4th gen section.

4th gen frame was made stiffer than 3rd gen, and I'm sure this was part of that stiffening effort.

Anyone know if the factory tow package for the 06 included an auxiliary transmission cooler?

Would be worth adding if you want to help your transmission out.

Here is a link to the Ford Towing Guides for model years going back some time.

According to the chart fro 2006 (page 14), the Explorer does not get an Aux Trans cooler, whether std tow package or HD package. Conversely, the Expedition (columns to the right) have an Aux cooler as standards.

This indicates that (as far as FoMoCo is concerned) the standard trans cooling for the Explorer is sufficient in the standard condition thru 12,000 lbs GCVWR, without an additional aux cooler.

So far what I have read(2 of you on this thread and someone else on another) claims plugging in to the stock brake controller outlet under the dash will get 6 of 7 wires operational if you plug into the stock connectors behind the bumper.

The 7th being a 12 volt lead that would need to be run from the battery, or fuse block, in the engine bay. Why that would be the case eludes me and I would love to know if that is true. Maybe there is just a fuse missing and the wiring is all there??
If you have the plug under the dash, and there are 4 wires running to that, then attaching a controller is easy. But you still need to confirm that the brake control (and/or 12V charge line) runs all the way back.

Here is a link to the 7-pin combination socket from etrailer. But this only works if you can find the round connector somewhere at the rear of the vehicle. From what I understand, for vehicles pre-wired to the rear, you should find this round connector tucked under the bumper (?). It should have a plug. When you remove the plug, the actual mating connection will be bright blue plastic.

Check out these slightly related pics of my vehicle. Mine does not use a pigtail to that blue connector, but it should look the same.Photobucket Link

If you tow on flat roads where the load and speed does not cause constant shifting using OD then you can keep it on... Excessive shifting causes more wear... Ive had a number of trucks that i have used towing a 5000lb boat 250 miles and the cost of the lower fuel economy was painful and used OD after getting to speed and turned it off when i was in a hilly area with no detrimental effects... In most cases you are trading off engine wear for trans wear that might not be an issue... I would rather run at 2200 rpm with a trailer than 3000rpm with OD off for over 4 hours... If it keeps popping out of OD when ever you lightly press on the throttle turn it off

Agree. The days of turning off OD by default are in the past. Read your owner's manual. Most modern vehicles will tell you it's OK to tow in OD, as long as the transmission is not "hunting".

If Ford had allowed us to hold 5th gear, locking out only 6th, I might just do that as a rule. But our OD lockout button locks us out of 5th and 6th. I'm not gonna live in 4th unless I have to!

even more with these crazy ass planetary gear set transmissions.... each gear set is 2 speeds so not using OD just makes the same gear set lock a different location changing the final ratio.... if the same set is wearing you are doing nothing but wasting fuel... if what you are saying is true then the MPG will drop even more since you cant choose 5th only 4th so the engine RPM must be through the roof at 70mph.... I have a good friend that owns a truck/hitch shop and he has been trying to change the worlds view about OD towing for years and people just say I will turn off OD just to be safe

They are up there, but these engines are designed to run just fine in the 3000-4000 RPM range all day long (which is where it is around at 70). In fact if you look at a dyno run for the V6 and V8, the HP and TQ curves cross around 5100 RPM stock if I remember correctly. Shoot, these vehicles don't get anywhere as loud towing as my 96 F150 with the 4.9L inline 6 and the 5 speed manual doing 70 (love the torque on this setup, but never expect to get anywhere very fast).
On a note of caution, I have run OD off while towing only on flat runs (no hills) and the tranny temperatures get significantly higher than running with OD off and it was not searching at all just cruising right along at 70 MPH on the 5R55S which is the equivalent of running the 6 speed in 5th gear. You have to remember that 5th and 6th, on the six speed, are both OD ratios designed to help with fuel economy on that transmission (values less than 1.0) and under max towing capacity would be a final drive ratio much too low for the engine. I am sure that under very light towing loads you can run the 6 speed transmission with OD on, but would want to have a scanner monitoring the transmission temperature too keep things from getting too hot.

Look up various dyno runs Every engine ever made cross tq and hp at 5150 only limitations are engines that cant hit 5150

They are up there, but these engines are designed to run just fine in the 3000-4000 RPM range all day long (which is where it is around at 70). In fact if you look at a dyno run for the V6 and V8, the HP and TQ curves cross around 5100 RPM stock if I remember correctly. Shoot, these vehicles don't get anywhere as loud towing as my 96 F150 with the 4.9L inline 6 and the 5 speed manual doing 70 (love the torque on this setup, but never expect to get anywhere very fast).
On a note of caution, I have run OD off while towing only on flat runs (no hills) and the tranny temperatures get significantly higher than running with OD off and it was not searching at all just cruising right along at 70 MPH on the 5R55S which is the equivalent of running the 6 speed in 5th gear. You have to remember that 5th and 6th, on the six speed, are both OD ratios designed to help with fuel economy on that transmission (values less than 1.0) and under max towing capacity would be a final drive ratio much too low for the engine. I am sure that under very light towing loads you can run the 6 speed transmission with OD on, but would want to have a scanner monitoring the transmission temperature too keep things from getting too hot.
I monitor trans temp all the time (towing or not). I do not see significant differences between OD on or off, unless the trans is hunting.

PS - If plotted in hp and ft-lbs, all such curves will cross at 5252rpm. It's built into the conversion equation:
horsepower (hp) = torque (ft-lbs) * engine speed (rpm) / 5252
So if engine speed is at 5252, then hp and torque are numerically equal (though different units.

I monitor trans temp all the time (towing or not). I do not see significant differences between OD on or off, unless the trans is hunting.

PS - If plotted in hp and ft-lbs, all such curves will cross at 5252rpm. It's built into the conversion equation:
horsepower (hp) = torque (ft-lbs) * engine speed (rpm) / 5252
So if engine speed is at 5252, then hp and torque are numerically equal (though different units.

yes that was the number I was trying to remember 5252 not 5150, i think that is a van halen album for the code when someone is in a crazy home...

Thanks guys, don't look at or interpret dyno runs very often at all and had a thought stuck in my brain that the point of intersect was significant regarding engine RPM design and didn't verify it before posting and ended up making an ass out of myself. The most that I have ever seen them used for is tuning dual webber carbs on an air cooled VW engine.
Brakeman, glad to hear that the V8 tranny temps are not significant between OD off/on. Just goes to show me how much harder the V6 motor is working when towing and some of it could also have been the 110F summer temperature when I was messing around towing with OD off/on ( the 3000+ RPM engine noise does get tiresome after a while).

yes that was the number i was trying to remember 5252 not 5150, i think that is a van halen album for the code when someone is in a crazy home...

yes!!!

Back