Add Intelligent AWD gauge and engine/idle hours to explorer 13+ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Add Intelligent AWD gauge and engine/idle hours to explorer 13+

mrdot

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 & 16 EXP Int. 3.5T
Add Intelligent AWD gauge and engine/idle hours to civilian Explorer 13-16! Interceptor 13-16 AWD!

** This is the route to go for these modifications! don't buy any hexed .ab files from online vendors. The Ford dealers will not apply them most of the time and it will end up costing you their hourly rate! **

This can be done using FORscan: (you will need to register and get extended license)

The features to enable are build into FORscan. No manually modifying or dealer programming!

http://forscan.org/download.html

OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool:

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

and a bluetooth enabled laptop.

Please report back with your results if you try this! ** Police models do not disable idle hours may reset counter **

Civilian engine/idle hours starts "0" when enabled.

Ford Service Manual Description of the AWD Gauge:

The AWD gauge displays the level of power applied to each wheel.

The following inputs to determine the AWD gauge display:

wheel torque data
AWD lock torque
engine rpm data
speedometer fault
As power is applied to the wheels, the area directly in front of each displayed wheel begin to fill in. The lowest power displayed is the closest to the wheel. As the amount of power sent to the wheels increases, the area fills in either forward (front wheels) or rearward (rear wheels) of the wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FORScan is powerful software, but you need to understand how and why it works, along with the limitations of the same.

These functions are making option changes to the vehicle's modules, or put more simply, revising the as-built data of the vehicle. Think of them just as they appear--toggling options, but with certain data values into the module that are invisible to you. Just because you can set a function in the BCM, IPC, or other module, does not mean you will be able to revert it just the same, or for that matter, guarantee the safe operation of your vehicle! FORScan is NOT a Ford product, and as such, may contain bugs or other issues that prevent your vehicle's successful operation.

Please proceed carefully. If you are unfamiliar with the concept of "as built data," please consult with a qualified individual before making changes to any vehicle modules.

I will add that I have been working with the FORScan team on 2017 Explorer compatibility, and we have already found a great number of bugs. Again, if you don't know how to restore as-built data (it's not just flipping a toggle back to its previous value in the options screen!), you should restrict your use of FORScan to diagnostic rather than programmatic functions.

well said! that one is a confirmed change pre-programmed in FORscan.

Add Intelligent AWD gauge and engine/idle hours to civilian Explorer 13+!

** This is the route to go for these modifications! don't buy any hexed .ab files from online vendors. The Ford dealers will not apply them most of the time and it will end up costing you their hourly rate! **

This can be done using FORscan: (you will need to register and get extended license)

The features to enable are build into FORscan. No manually modifying or dealer programming!

http://forscan.org/download.html

OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool:

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

and a bluetooth enabled laptop.

Please report back with your results if you try this! ** Police models do not disable idle hours may reset counter **
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Not sure really why most would want to know their 'vehicle's idle hours. In most places here in Ontario there are already 'Idle Laws'. I had a display that could be called up that showed the AWD power distribution in my 2011 Limited. I'm guessing this is still available.

Peter

Hello and thank you! Might have a 2013 explorer limited soon, so you guys might be seeing a lot more of me! Some might want it, that will also enable engine hours and idle hours. Just wanted to put it out there. I know a rude member here is selling the modifications for profit.

Hello and thank you! Might have a 2013 explorer limited soon, so you guys might be seeing a lot more of me! Some might want it. Just wanted to put it out there. I know a member here is selling the modifications for profit.
That member has spent a lot of time and done a lot of his own research and has helped many members here, without charge I might add, with various issues in addition to those mentioned in your posts.

Peter

Those providing the modifications for profit have also done testing and provide support if things go wrong.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, do not make FORScan modifications unless you understand why and how it is changing a given option. Know how to revert the change, and again, I don't just mean toggling an "enabled" back to "disabled." Changing as-built data--the core of what is happening with FORScan--can be extremely dangerous and break critical functionality.

to the naked eye, the guy has stolen a lot from the Russian forums.

"The guy" you're referring to has spent a great deal of his own time in performing the research and support necessary in making changes to these vehicles, as have the FORScan developers. I have had the delight of collaborating with both.

These upgrades/configurations are borne from an extremely tedious and time consuming process, not to mention one that comes with a certain amount of risk. If you want to show others that there is an additional tool out there, then fine. But if this is a vendetta against said "guy," then please, take that battle private and leave it off the forums. Whatever your feelings on the subject of such user--as misplaced as I find them to be--should not lead the rest of the forum down an ill-advised path with their vehicles.

FORScan is a tool, it takes some knowledge and skill to be leveraged effectively. The functionality you advertised is not guaranteed to work perfectly across all models and may cause a significant hardship for some individuals should a programming bug present itself.

There's no battle, you need to relax. You have no info to prove this person did anything worthwhile. It is PREprogrammed in FORscan, did i ever say go play around?

Pre-programmed does not mean "safe." You can do damage even with what you have called a pre-programmed option.

As for his contributions, I have plenty of first hand knowledge. If you don't want to believe that, that's your right, but please understand my objection for your wild accusations against one of the forum's most helpful members.

says a 3 month old member?

There's no battle, you need to relax. You have no info to prove this person did anything worthwhile. It is PREprogrammed in FORscan, did i ever say go play around?
Cost that was justified at the time, since members such as yourself was not around yet. I agree to not make it public and glad you're here now to share the knowledge.

Hello, can you post the exact values you need to change for the engine idle hours and AWD gauge? Thanks!

Hello, can you post the exact values you need to change for the engine idle hours and AWD gauge? Thanks!

I tried the AWD gauge/speed/rpm on my '17...the AWD gauge is defaulted. which is a 2 on the spreadsheet. When i changed the setting to 4 or C the AWD gauge disappeared but i got the avg speed gauge under fuel economy instead. never an avg RPM. Not a huge deal, but didn't know who to report the findings too.

Back