Add new rims and Subwoofers to my 2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Add new rims and Subwoofers to my 2002 Explorer

MinVikesFan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi everybody,

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. It has stock everything. I'm a college student so I only get to drive my explorer about 4 months out of the year. It always has problems, but i love it. I would like to get new rims, probably black, and also upgrade the stereo system, so new stereo deck, amp, and subwoofers. Problem is, I'm completely clueless with the audio part. I don't know how, where, or what type of audio enhancements I would put in. I would like to put subwoofers in the trunk, but I'm not sure if any of the trunk side panels are okay to take off and install a sub. Would it be easier to just have a box instead? I would be so grateful if you could send me suggestions, or maybe things you have done to your explorer so I can get some ideas. That would be so helpful. Thank you very much.

-Elliot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you like your stock wheels you could just spray paint them black or have them powder coated black. Would save you a lot of $$$. I spray painted mine and they turned out pretty well.

mailgooglecom-4.jpg

you can always do a search and find most your answers..
but if you have the stock sub, i have seen people put an aftermarket woofer in its place. Also another cool thing is to build a shallow box and put the sub/s and amp in the rear storage so its hidden and you keep all your cargo room. If you cant build a box your self there are 1000s of one you can buy. crutchfield.com and woofersetc.com are good audio shops....

Hi everybody,

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. It has stock everything. I'm a college student so I only get to drive my explorer about 4 months out of the year. It always has problems, but i love it. I would like to get new rims, probably black, and also upgrade the stereo system, so new stereo deck, amp, and subwoofers. Problem is, I'm completely clueless with the audio part. I don't know how, where, or what type of audio enhancements I would put in. I would like to put subwoofers in the trunk, but I'm not sure if any of the trunk side panels are okay to take off and install a sub. Would it be easier to just have a box instead? I would be so grateful if you could send me suggestions, or maybe things you have done to your explorer so I can get some ideas. That would be so helpful. Thank you very much.

-Elliot

for the audio aspect check crutchfield, they tell you what fits your car and they also are very helpful with anything you need.

Soniceltronix for good deals

too save space i bought the jl audio stealthbox...it was pretty expensive but it saved all my cargo space...i also installed a kenwood indash which flips out...

crutchfield.com ...put your vehicle info in the database and the filter out what fits and what doesnt...find anything you like and search for it for a better price...

and the other pic is the black adrenalin wheels....find some wheels you like (i always preferred oem) and powdercoat them black...

Attachments

• waxed ex front passener side.jpg
    waxed ex front passener side.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 16,634
  • stealthbox.jpg
    stealthbox.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3,281
  • cargo area.jpg
    cargo area.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 8,239
  • adrenalin wheel with tire.jpg
    adrenalin wheel with tire.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 3,323

I wouldn't use crutchfield... they're fairly overpriced... find some nice 6x9's for your doors on craigslist or ebay. You can also buy some 6 1/2's and just put in some 6x9 to 6 1/2 adapters (which u can find for cheap... they are easy to make aswell). Alpine, JL, and Rockford Fosgate are all good brands. I'd try and get the latest model of whatever u decide.

For the deck -- You can't go wrong with a late model Clarion, Alpine, or Pioneer.

Do some research on your subs... if its sound quality you're looking for, just go ahead and go JL... it's a pretty safe bet. There are a lot of SPL options... I'd say the Alpine Type R's are the best bang for buck... you can pick em up $130 a piece on ebay. Rockford subs kinda meet in the middle when it comes to SPL and SQL.

I'd recommend building a box to the spec of whatever subs you get... You can't get the most from them with any prefab box.... It'll cost you less too.

Oh and don't forget to pick up some nice wire aswell... don't skimp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5XQzPfNVM BURRR

I really appreciate all the help. I'm really liking the crutchfield website. @not8taxi can you put the rear seats up with the JL stealthbox? Your explorer is so sick btw. Thanks again.

Looks like it goes up fine I'd expect it to with a custom box for our specific vehicle especially a "stealth box"
You will pay for them tho looks great

yea the third row goes up...only thing i had to do was cut off about an inch from the back piece of the seat that slides across when you fold it down...it was hitting the stealthbox....

on the jl audio website it says that the stealthbox does not fit in 3rd row or explorers with the rear a/c units...but i made it work...heres a pic on the bottom

and for the audio part of your thread...crutchfield is just used to see what fits...you can use it as a guide no need to buy it there...many people choose different brands to their liking...i chose Kenwood because i heard they were good and im happy with mine...you might want to head into a bestbuy or any electronics store that has car audio section and play with some receivers to see which brand or type you like and go from there and search online...research before you buy so you can be happy with it also...

goodluck with it :thumbsup:

Attachments

• cargo area with 3rd row up.jpg
    cargo area with 3rd row up.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 6,616

Any thoughts on just putting a plain box in the trunk space instead of the stealthbox? I think that would be cheaper.

If you go to the audio section you can see custom boxes. He used the stealthbox to have access to the 3rd row seating. If you dont have the 3rd row and don't mind losing cargo space, having a plain box would be cheaper. Just make sure you secure it, so it doesn't bounce around.

Been slowly doing mine... locks that are released only when key is in ignition and when the hidden button is pushed. gas struts bring it up. dont have my amps or caps mounted to the box yet but will be done soon. the wood on the ends is from ports i had but it was way too loud and i like a sealed sound better.

0326112106a.jpg

0329111542.jpg

downsized_0517111803.jpg

downsized_0517111803a.jpg

that sh**T looks really good...i give you a lot of credit man...mustve been a lot of work but def looks worth it...one of a kind....wow:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Go spl like me I have one Fi btl 18 on 3500rms its stupid loud it meters at 150.8 db ;)

thanks it took a ton of imagination and resources haha
and yea.. i was going to go with 2 15s in a standard setup. but my 2 12s pound enough to make my exploder start fallin apart. :D plus i have all my cargo space and its almost impossible to steal lol ill defiantly have to get some pics when its all done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have rear a/c in my 2002 exploder but the website says i wont fit if you have rear a/c. can you somehow make it work?

Back