Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
As I understand, the OE gauge has a range to it. So the arrow being in the middle doesn't mean it's running at 205.

With a scan tool you can read the coolant temp.

Has anyone added on a digital coolant temp gauge?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This would be a really neat concept. If anyone hasn't and you decide to, make sure you do a write up on it!

Buy an OBD2 ELM327 scan tool thing (from ebay - get the mini one as it's much smaller and easier to fit to the factory plug), and have it permanently connected, then get the Android/iPhone TORQUE App to run it and you're done. All up cost is around $15, time to install around 60 seconds and you're getting the same temp reading as the ECU/PCM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mini-...587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589d77787b

Buy an OBD2 ELM327 scan tool thing (from ebay - get the mini one as it's much smaller and easier to fit to the factory plug), and have it permanently connected, then get the Android/iPhone TORQUE App to run it and you're done. All up cost is around $15, time to install around 60 seconds and you're getting the same temp reading as the ECU/PCM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mini-...587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589d77787b

That, or get a dedicated Ultra Gauge:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Wow, both of those options are fantastic. I did not want to tap into any wiring for this.
Obviously there is a huge cost difference, but one also requires the phone to be utilized.

I'm going the cheaper route first, but I like the other one too.

Wow, both of those options are fantastic. I did not want to tap into any wiring for this.
Obviously there is a huge cost difference, but one also requires the phone to be utilized.

I'm going the cheaper route first, but I like the other one too.
The nice thing about the ELM327 is that you can also use it with a laptop and a free program called ForScan, which is a very powerful tool for Ford vehicles.
http://forscan.org/

The nice thing about the ELM327 is that you can also use it with a laptop and a free program called ForScan, which is a very powerful tool for Ford vehicles.
http://forscan.org/

Further review of the ELM website makes me question the ELM327 compat with the 2004 Explorer. Looks like you'd need a ELM320.

Also, can't seem to pin down if either work with the iPhones.

Further review of the ELM website makes me question the ELM327 compat with the 2004 Explorer. Looks like you'd need a ELM320.

Also, can't seem to pin down if either work with the iPhones.

Why would you need a different ELM interface? My ELM327 has worked fine on my 2002 and a few 2005+ Ford products.

A non-jailbroken iPhone does not work with bluetooth devices like this.

This one is in its way. Wish the other was compatible with an iPhone.

Nice choice. Even though it's more than the ELM, at last you know it will work, and it is still cheaper than buying the full set of gauges this software will give you!

I just installed an electric fan and want to know what my temp is while driving. This is a lot smaller than my KAL scan tool.

I just installed an electric fan and want to know what my temp is while driving. This is a lot smaller than my KAL scan tool.

Same reason I have ordered one for mine.

Once I figure out where to permanently mount it, I'll post pics of my ScanGaugeII. I have the temp showing on mine now, and it varies from driving (about 185) to idle (about 191-194).

Once I figure out where to permanently mount it, I'll post pics of my ScanGaugeII. I have the temp showing on mine now, and it varies from driving (about 185) to idle (about 191-194).

i plan on getting the rear-view mirror mount. check it out on amazon or their website. nice and concealed, and as i have a limo tint strip on the top its nearly impossible to see from the outside giving me some added anti-theft:salute:

My toy came today. Read up a little online, went through the process for the rebate (which basically forces you to read some info on the unit, which is a good thing.)
Pretty excited, can take the Ex out now to test the electric fan install.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

I wanted the ELM327 simply for it's cost, but at $70, the ultra gauge is still 1/2 as cheap as what I could find the ScanGaugeII for.
Personally, I like the shape, size and screen readout better on the Utlra-Gauge than I do the ScanGuage.

Just as long as it all works! Don't ya just love getting toys in the mail.

Stupid car won't heat up. It's about 77 degree's outside and been driving for days....well miles....maybe.

I should note, the deer that took out my front end somehow deflected the hood which broke the top of the fan shroud which flung around between the fan w/clutch and the radiator. Yes, NOT GOOD.

So, this is with a new radiator, and a new water pump while I had access (too inexpensive not too) and a new thermostat.

Wasn't until I got home and let it idle in the driveway a bit that it reached 207 and kicked on the electric fan. Which promptly cooled it down.

Only thing I'm not happy with, is the fact that you can't pop the parking brake with this plugged in. I'm either going to move the OBDII connector or modify the parking brake attachment area.

UGTempEdited_zps736ac180.jpg

I mounted my OBD connector at 90 degrees to how it originally was - so with the ELM plugged in, it sits horizontal rather than hanging down. It's a matter of removing 2 screws, turning it, and re screwing it in the new position (may have needed a drill to make new screw holes, can't remember).

is the Ultra Gauge wireless? Only thing i dont like about it is the suction cup mount...doesnt look too professional to me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah... what JCUZ said. You can see my video on my Ranger here... The android phone has the gauges up (using a $4 torque app).

Back