Addatives: what do you use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Addatives: what do you use?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Addativs: what do you use? Do you use oil, fuel,other addatives? Why do you use them? What results have you gotten?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use NO additives. IMHO, most of the additives on the market are snake oil if you have a properly tuned and maintained vehicle. Now, octane boosters and lead additives can be necessary for older motors that pre-date unleaded fuel, but other than that......

Additives that I use:

Oil: none
Fuel: Sea Foam, Fuel Power
Tranny: none
Rear end: none, not even friction modifier
Power steering: none

Sea Foam is a great “cleaner outerâ€￾. I obtain a mileage boost with Fuel Power as well as a much smoother running motor.

Additives, I Use:
If buis was good for the month a half gallon of Skyy works, if real good: grey goose is best.
If just so so, whatever is on sale

I use seafoam every 15k, and lucas injector cleaner every 6k miles. So far this has kept the motor from making the marble noise inherrent to the ohv.

I have used some Lucas products, namely the tranny and power steering stuff with very good results. Also trans-lube is good stuff too. Lots of trans. rebuilders put these in all of thier rebuilds. Other than that, I like mobil1 synth. products. Took me awhile to be convinced, but Im a true synth. devotee now.
MCTOY

Seafoam only....and pretty much in anything!

i've been pondering the Lucas Oil Stabilizer but have seen a test on site somewhere how how it oxidizes the oil :(

Go to bobistheoilguy.com for all information regarding addatives. Lucas tends to foam...Very bad.

A good synthetic oil will do better than anything you could add. Mobil 1 seems to be the best compromise of value and performence. I had an oil analysis of a 5k mile oil change on my GTP with outstanding results.

I use Techron every 5k in the gas for the injectors. THATS IT.

I will try some seafoam some day to clean my chambers though.

i use gasline anti freeze but really i havent had any gas freezing problems so looks like its working.....or im wasting my friends anti-freeze (hehehe)

gasline antifreeze is a must up here in the winter, lucas fuel injector cleaner every now and then. thats about it.

i tried prolong in my old broncoII ... the tranny lube helped my a4ld limp out another 10k and the engine lube improved start time and thorttle response.... but i wouldnt use that in anything that isnt showing wear....

JDraper said:
I use NO additives. IMHO, most of the additives on the market are snake oil if you have a properly tuned and maintained vehicle. Now, octane boosters and lead additives can be necessary for older motors that pre-date unleaded fuel, but other than that......

My thoughts exactly, none in my baby either ;)

fuel injector cleaner with every oil change ( when I remember )
( the injector cleaner that is )

I have noticed no harm, but no real benefit or gain either, but I suppose that is the point exactaly.

Oil: Auto-Rx every 25,000 miles
Fuel: Berryman's B12 every oil change
Transmission: None
Rear Diff: None
Power Steering: Synthetic P/S fluid, no additives
Intake: Seafoam

Sea Foam through the intake and sometimes in the engine oil before i do an oil change (a day maybe), and Techron synthetic fuel additive sometimes.

Fuel Power in fuel, Lube Control in oil, tranny, PS. Best stuff out there. Works different than other products. Dissolves carbon into a lubricant substance, pretty amazing stuff. Lucas will never touch my vehicle as it makes the oil thicker which can be very bad.

LC/FP all the way, no need for anything else!

I use none right now. I'm scared to do more harm than good but Seafoam is sounding pretty good right now. I'll probably give it a try. :thumbsup:

additives

Marvel oil in gas and oil

I have read else where that additives can cause problems in the long run. Some contain teflon which from what I have read will gum up the motor. I pulled my motor at 220K and it looked like someone spay painted the inside of my motor with bedliner. I used to just pick up stuff off the shelf and give it a whirl. From now on its Mobile 1 and Sea Foam. You can get it at Auto Zone now. You can put sea foam in gas, oil, intake and they even make one for the trans.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

None in the oil, only mobil syth.
Trans, some lucas, soon to be replaced with lube guard
diff's, none, haven't changed the fluid yet, I hear their good for a 100K??
power steering, some lucas as well
Fuel, valvoline fuel system

Back