Added another Explorer to the family, this time it's... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Added another Explorer to the family, this time it's...

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 2000 Eddie Bauer
An Eddie Bauer. I was fortunate enough to pick up a 2000 Eddie Bauer with 126,000. 2WD 5.0L V8. It is Chesnut Clearcoat Metallic, which I have only seen 2 ever in my lifetime, with the Prarie Tan interior. No sunroof, but I can live with that.

Bought it from a couple in their 80's. The EB isn't really hurt. In need of a good cleaning, tune up, air filter and fuel filter. The only other problems I see are...

1. Radio display not working, LOL who hasn't had this problem. I read the sticky. I will attempt to repair it myself. I don't want to lose the steering wheel or rear seat controls.
2. The fuel gauge light is out.
3. Subwoofer isn't playing at all. Did anyone else have this problem? Where do I start?
4. Rear wiper isn't working. It sounds like it wants to move but doesn't.

Well that is the story for now. Any suggestions are appreciated.

http://s973.beta.photobucket.com/us...rt=3&o=3&_suid=136078593717607084486648935162

http://s973.beta.photobucket.com/us...rt=3&o=4&_suid=136078594985306925971981276509

http://s973.beta.photobucket.com/us...rt=3&o=2&_suid=136078591733208354351802017221

http://s973.beta.photobucket.com/us...t=3&o=0&_suid=1360785879363015926580563679227

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

radio display fix (last time i checked) was $45 plus 2-way shipping. i have 2 radios that need the display fix.

Radio display fix: Trever can be found at (sayko4@aol.com) He charged me $45.00 plus shipping. All I did was mail him my radio w/ return postage to E.Mike Harrington at 304 Hartin Blvd,Summerville,SC 29483. He wants you to put your name ,address in the box w/radio. Be sure to really pack it well especially the front knobs.

rear wiper - it is common for the motor shaft to become corroded and seize inside the plastic shaft cover. to repair it you can remove the motor (fairly easy job) get the plastic cover off clean and lube it and it should be good to go for a while, but odds are it won't do a very good job wiping the rear glass. they never do, bad motor mounting grommets, weak arm spring.

i can explain to you how to change the instrument illumination bulbs, but it's a PITA job to do. i did it recently, it was the second time i've done it on a gen II, took me 2 hours and i hope i never have to do it again. on the plus side, it's the perfect opportunity to adjust your PRND12 pointer.

BTW, i doubt the inside is any more in need of a good cleaning than the 2000 Mountaineer i picked up last week. lol

radio display fix (last time i checked) was $45 plus 2-way shipping. i have 2 radios that need the display fix.

Radio display fix: Trever can be found at (sayko4@aol.com) He charged me $45.00 plus shipping. All I did was mail him my radio w/ return postage to E.Mike Harrington at 304 Hartin Blvd,Summerville,SC 29483. He wants you to put your name ,address in the box w/radio. Be sure to really pack it well especially the front knobs.

rear wiper - it is common for the motor shaft to become corroded and seize inside the plastic shaft cover. to repair it you can remove the motor (fairly easy job) get the plastic cover off clean and lube it and it should be good to go for a while, but odds are it won't do a very good job wiping the rear glass. they never do, bad motor mounting grommets, weak arm spring.

i can explain to you how to change the instrument illumination bulbs, but it's a PITA job to do. i did it recently, it was the second time i've done it on a gen II, took me 2 hours and i hope i never have to do it again. on the plus side, it's the perfect opportunity to adjust your PRND12 pointer.

BTW, i doubt the inside is any more in need of a good cleaning than the 2000 Mountaineer i picked up last week. lol

Thanks, I changed out the instrument bulbs in my 95. It was a major PITA but the main problem was when I went to screw everything back in the holders were dry rot and fell apart. I am afraid that I will run into the same problem. I will probably take care of that part Saturday morning. I forgot that my rearview mirror shakes like a coconut on a tree. I think all it needs is a tightening. I will have to give Trevor a holler, since he is in SC and I am in SC it will be easy to get that fixed. Thanks bud.

1. Radio display not working, LOL who hasn't had this problem. I read the sticky. I will attempt to repair it myself. I don't want to lose the steering wheel or rear seat controls.

3. Subwoofer isn't playing at all. Did anyone else have this problem? Where do I start?
Those are related. The head-end radio that came in EB was the one with RDS button and connection for subwoofer. In that case, the rear doors speakers didn't get bass routed trough them.
Those radios thou had the issue with display failing so sometimes they where replaced with the non-RDS head-ends. Those don't have sub-woofer connector but they route the bass trough the rear doors speakers. This is my case - I have the non-RDS radio head-end, bass is routed into rear doors and sub is silent.
Both radio heads make use of the steering and rear controls.

What radio head-end do you have?

Those are related. The head-end radio that came in EB was the one with RDS button and connection for subwoofer. In that case, the rear doors speakers didn't get bass routed trough them.
Those radios thou had the issue with display failing so sometimes they where replaced with the non-RDS head-ends. Those don't have sub-woofer connector but they route the bass trough the rear doors speakers. This is my case - I have the non-RDS radio head-end, bass is routed into rear doors and sub is silent.
Both radio heads make use of the steering and rear controls.

What radio head-end do you have?

I have looked for the RDS button and I cannot find it on the head unit. So I must have the non RDS head unit.

I have looked for the RDS button and I cannot find it on the head unit. So I must have the non RDS head unit.
Then the subwoofer will not work, since you don't have the right connector in back of it - like my case.
MACH radio (has sub-woofer support) with RDS:
RDS_button.jpg

Then the subwoofer will not work, since you don't have the right connector in back of it - like my case.
MACH radio (has sub-woofer support) with RDS:
RDS_button.jpg

Sorry I did find it. I don't know what I was looking at. Thanks for the graphic. It was suprisingly cold here in Myrtle Beach this weekend with snow flurries so I didn't get out to take the subwoofer out. I figured that something could possibly be loose or something. I have ground noise from the subwoofer when I start the car but after about 5 minutes the sound goes away. I don't have any sound from it at all though. I have pushed the RDS button several times but to no avail. Say that I bought an aftermarket radio, I know there is a modules through crutchfield that will allow me use of my steering wheel controls but will I still be able to use the controls through the back seat hvac/radio controls and will I still be able to use the subwoofer as well?

RDS is not related directly to sub-woofer function, it is just another feature on the MACH radio.
It is not impossible to wire the sub to get the signal from the rear speakers, but it might be labor intensive and require an amplifier - that's why I didn't do it on mine.

RDS is not related directly to sub-woofer function, it is just another feature on the MACH radio.
It is not impossible to wire the sub to get the signal from the rear speakers, but it might be labor intensive and require an amplifier - that's why I didn't do it on mine.

I am going to look into it, I like keeping my Explorer's as stock as possible but a new radio and subwoofer are not out of the question. I want something low key as possible. Thanks for the help.

Back