added DRL/style lighting to my 3rd geb headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

added DRL/style lighting to my 3rd geb headlights

Here are two pics of what my X looks like now with some LED light strips I purchased at AutoZone and installed inside headlamp housing. Finally found green LEDs to match my color theme.
IMG_20150202_095406_726_zps88374d42.jpg

IMG_20150201_191401_923_zps38181851.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See I thought of doing the same thing, along with the black paint that you have in your housing. I'm still going to take my housings out and paint, however I don't think our headlight shape caters to the style lights. Your install looks good so I'm not bashing it at all... I just think the headlight shape of our 3rd gens is kind of dorky. Even painting the unused portion of the lens doesn't look as good as I thought it would.

See I thought of doing the same thing, along with the black paint that you have in your housing. I'm still going to take my housings out and paint, however I don't think our headlight shape caters to the style lights. Your install looks good so I'm not bashing it at all... I just think the headlight shape of our 3rd gens is kind of dorky. Even painting the unused portion of the lens doesn't look as good as I thought it would.

LoL. That is actually the exact reason I have done everything I have to my headlamps. I agree, they are a bit "dorky" and figured every little bit helps. Anything's better than that face-full of chrome! I had also thought about adding "eyelids" to change the shape of 'em, but couldn't decide on what to make 'em out of. I didn't want to just use adhesive vinyl since it is not opaque enough and light would shine through the back when the headlights were on. At least our headlamp shape isn't as horrid as the current Chrysler 300's, though

Could you post some close up (headlight in frame) during daylight, no lights? I'm trying to judge what I'm going to do. It doesn't look very black, does the lens fade the black look a bit. I thought of possibly painting the part you did in black but in white (to match the truck) then the inside bowl to black (with projector of course). But I'm not sure how f up that would make it, I always come back to how you did or all blacked out. What I really wish was the lens was straight clear instead of the ribbed look but I'm not about to vacuum form a new lens…I would pay someone to do though!? I was wanting to throw in a led halo inside a shroud to show through the vents (which was why I was thinking painting the reflector bowl black to minimize the reflection from the chrome)

After seeing that corvette, I don't think I'll be going that route. Thanks for the link, the whole reflector black doesn't look bad, it's the damn lens and its ribs. Having an amber halo on the backside of the shroud would pop.

Back