Added remote keyless entry and remote start to '15 PIU but range is very poor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Added remote keyless entry and remote start to '15 PIU but range is very poor

atikovi

Reaction score
City, State
Mclean VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
Have to be like 5 feet from the car for it to work. Is this because they didn't come with an antenna to the keyless entry module? I see the module does have a connector for an antenna. Would this be what it needs: Genuine OEM Remote Start - Rfr Antenna Kit Part# DA8Z-15603-A Fits 2013-2017 Ford: Up To 35% Off On Every Order And Guaranteed Fit When You Enter Your VIN | Ford Genuine Auto Parts It doesn't say it fits Explorers. Or maybe this: Remote Start System Ultra-Long-Range Extender Antenna Kit That fit's 2018 and up Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need an antenna for it to work properly. The range for the OEM setup should be in the 300 ft range.
Have a look at this thread, it may give you some helpful info although no part numbers are given, Remote Start / Entry Antenna Location

Peter

A little addition/correction to my OP after some research. The remote keyless entry system's "antenna" is built into the TPM module. That module on vehicles with a console is located at the back of the console. On PIUs without a console it's mounted behind that plate with the two power outlets. I put quotes around antenna because it's internal and of limited range. I'm assuming civilian Explorers also have an external antenna to give reasonable range. That's what the empty connector on the module is for.

With that said, I found the antenna for Explorers 2017 and older is DL3Z-15603-C for $65 list. Decided to order the cheaper DA8Z-15603-A for half that as I assume the only difference is the mounting. Will see how that works.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the remotes? My 18 SHO has the intelligent remotes with remote start. Range is, well, disappointing. Yet, I added keyless entry using the separate fobs on my '16 FPIU and the range is excellent.

A little addition/correction to my OP after some research. The remote keyless entry system's "antenna" is built into the TPM module. That module on vehicles with a console is located at the back of the console. On PIUs without a console it's mounted behind that plate with the two power outlets. I put quotes around antenna because it's internal and of limited range. I'm assuming civilian Explorers also have an external antenna to give reasonable range. That's what the empty connector on the module is for.

With that said, I found the antenna for Explorers 2017 and older is DL3Z-15603-C for $65 list. Decided to order the cheaper DA8Z-15603-A for half that as I assume the only difference is the mounting. Will see how that works.
Civilian Explorers have the same Internal antenna that is mounted in the console. There is no External one.

Peter

"Civilian" Explorers do not have an antenna. Same setup as the PIU. You may have something causing interference. Do you have any 12V power points plugged into anything or USB ports plugged into anything if you have SYNC?

Civilian Explorers have the same Internal antenna that is mounted in the console. There is no External one.

Peter
That link you posted is for what I call an external antenna that the PIU doesn't have and I don't know about civilians having it. By internal, I mean, inside the module itself.

That link you posted is for what I call an external antenna that the PIU doesn't have and I don't know about civilians having it. By internal, I mean, inside the module itself.
The "civilian/retail" Explorer has 2 passive start antennas under the console. One in the front of it and the other in the back of the console.
1640995430047.png

Peter

The "civilian/retail" Explorer has 2 passive start antennas under the console. One in the front of it and the other in the back of the console.
View attachment 425015

Peter
Passive start antenna is for the push-button start when you have a smart key in your pocket. Nothing to do with what I posted about.

Passive start antenna is for the push-button start when you have a smart key in your pocket. Nothing to do with what I posted about.
Sorry, my mistake.

Seems simple enough, to just take a metal coat hanger or whatever, make a 1/4 wave (315MHz? Then 23cm antenna length) antenna and try it.

How to attach to module connector under dash?

^ What kind of connector is it? For a test, if the inner contact is large enough, simply put the coat hanger, or a piece of soldered on wire in it. You don't need the outer/ground connected if not using a coax shielded cable to mount elsewhere. It might be more difficult if the connector is reverse-gender center contact, like in this picture, then could use a piece of sheet metal or portion of a crimp-on connector or butt splice to form the female center contact point:

I'm only proposing this as a test to see if range improves, would use an antenna with a secure connector for final daily use.

^ What kind of connector is it? For a test, if the inner contact is large enough, simply put the coat hanger, or a piece of soldered on wire in it. You don't need the outer/ground connected if not using a coax shielded cable to mount elsewhere. I'm only proposing this as a test to see if range improves, would use an antenna with a secure connector for final daily use.
The one on the left.

IMG_2813.JPG

^ While that shows the connector shell shape/keying fairly well, I can't see the detail of the inner contact to make a suggestion how to mechanically couple with the makeshift antenna. Is the entire inner contact, as highlighted below, a single contact, or is there a stud or sleeve for a stud on the other end? If entire highlighted portion is just the live inner contact conductor, just put a right-angle bend in the coat hanger so it has a width causing a friction fit, or hammer it out flatter, or a random piece of bolt, ground down, or whatever... just needs to make electrical contact and not fall out, and be insulated (air gap will work) from the ground contact. I also added more to my prior post.

connector.jpg

... or just buy the antenna. :)

Dealer will order antenna Monday but said it might be back ordered.

The Remotes work fine on my 15 PIU. The Antenna for these is actually in the BCM so I would start looking for interference here first.

The TPMS antenna port actually plugs into the RFA module behind the glovebox which a PIU would not have. Relocating the TPMS module will do nothing as it for the Tire Pressure sensors. The RFA actually does use the antenna in the TPMS module and the only way you would have the RFA is if you had Intelligent Access(IA) in a 2015.

There is also a remote start accessory kit that uses the TPMS for that, but you don't need this for Remote Start using the BCM since it is built in and just needs to be turned on.

Relocating the TPMS module will do nothing as it for the Tire Pressure sensors.
From what I read the TPMS module also does keyless entry. Why would it have a place to plug in an antenna otherwise?

From what I read the TPMS module also does keyless entry. Why would it have a place to plug in an antenna otherwise?
The TPMS receiver is the keyless entry receiver as well for vehicles with basic keyless entry (not passive). If you pull the TPMS receiver out, your keyless entry will not work. The BCM does not contain the receiver. You never said if you have anything plugged into the 12V outlets or USB ports if you have them. Do you have anything aftermarket hardwired in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The TPMS receiver is the keyless entry receiver as well for vehicles with basic keyless entry (not passive).
That's what I said. Why wouldn't an external antenna improve range? Nothing plugged into the outlets.

Back