Added remote keyless entry and remote start to '15 PIU but range is very poor | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Added remote keyless entry and remote start to '15 PIU but range is very poor

Ford states the Explorer doesn't use the antenna that goes in there which is only ever added to vehicles that have remote start enabled. I don't think it will hurt anything to plug one in and try.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had the TPMS module unplugged and my keyless worked fine. I will double check the communication path for it again, but I was looking at a rear hatch trigger today that showed the communication path starting at the BCM not the TPMS module.

I have had the TPMS module unplugged and my keyless worked fine.
This?

IMG_2813.JPG

When I unplugged it, got no remote action.

This?

View attachment 425151

When I unplugged it, got no remote action.
Yup, For the PIU it is mounted just under the ACM behind the plastic facia. For mine I moved it to under the center console when I added it. I had it unplugged for a few weeks while I was doing wiring and the Keyless still worked fine. Ton of TPS issues but I knew I could fix those. Now I am not saying it has nothing to do with it as it clearly does in some cases. I can say I had no issues with it unplugged though in my case.

I got the antenna and removed it from the case, then added some 3M double sided foam tape.

IMG_2834.JPG

Routed the cable that comes with the antenna kit to the top of the dash and stuck it there.

IMG_2835.JPG

Range for the remote and start are much better. Before, I had to be right at the truck or no more than 5 feet away for that to work. Now it worked at 30 feet. Will try farther but that is fine with me.

Curious...what is the part # on the TPMS receiver? Maybe its bad or from a different vehicle?

Already buttoned it back up.

Back