Adding 12 volt accessory outlets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding 12 volt accessory outlets

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XLT
It has come to my attention that I have the need for additional 12 volt outlets for my '92 XLT. I purchased a unit that converts my single 12 volt plug into a strip of three, and I took it apart so I could mount the actual 3-plug strip on my center console somewhere. The piece is just a circuit board that has all three plugs attached to the same circuit.

I would like to run a dedicated, fused wire to it (4 gauge, perhaps?) but have it switched so that it doesn't receive power when the vehicle is not running. Would I need a relay for this, or is there an easier, safer way to achieve what I want?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

-Straw

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take power directly off the battery, run that to a relay, use the wire off the radio that is hot with only the ignition as the relay trigger lead. Then lastly the relay power out lead to the DC power ports.

EDIT: Add a Fuse between the batt and relay.

use the wire off the radio that is hot with only the ignition as the relay trigger lead. Then lastly the relay power out lead to the DC power ports.

I am a little confused by this, could you elaborate?

I am a little confused by this, could you elaborate?

dae.jpg

That's a big help, Mustang. I appreciate it.

-Straw

Glad to help

One more thing to clarify, "Ignition Hot lead" wire should come from some accessory like the radio that only gets power when the key is turned, I don't mean tie into the ignition lead. Sorry if that was confusing.

Back