• Register Today It's free!

adding 12v aux outlets

os1kne

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
My wife has a 2004 EB Explorer. When we take it on trips we tend to have 2 mobile phone charges, an ipod charger and a GPS charger. Not all of these items need to be charging simultaneously, so I've been getting by with a basic splitter - but I've been thinking about wiring in some additional outlets.

I suspect that most people here have more gadgets and gizmos than the factory provided outlets for, so what have you done?

I'd prefer to put the additional outlets in an indescrete location (thinking under the dash) so that I don't butcher the factory dash/console. I've installed aux outlets, stereos, etc. in other vehicles in the past, so I'm familiar with auto electrical work - but if you have some tips, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is somewhat related.. just shows how discreetly you can add an auxillary outlet. This one is in my rear jack compartment of my 97 and is mainly used to power my minnow aerator on fishing trips.

100_0857.jpg

This is somewhat related.. just shows how discreetly you can add an auxillary outlet. This one is in my rear jack compartment of my 97 and is mainly used to power my minnow aerator on fishing trips.

100_0857.jpg

i never thought of doing that. thats an awesome idea i'm donna have to do that when i get home.

go buy the nice plugs from advanced auto or whatnot and mount them in the center console. if you pull up the rubber mat right in front of the cub holder there is a screw right there then the plastic peice just pops off. that will give you room to drill the holes/wire/mount the 12 source. i have my switched there and one extra outlet. then you just have to open the lid tothe center console to get to the outlet. that might not be clear enough butifyou take a look you will see what i mean or just ask and i might be able to get my hands on a picture

Dont you have a charger on the back of the center console? When I need the gps and the phone (or DVD) I have the gps plugged in the front and the phone/DVD in the back.

i usually use that rear plug for my travel fridge lol

Dont you have a charger on the back of the center console? When I need the gps and the phone (or DVD) I have the gps plugged in the front and the phone/DVD in the back.

That outlet is usually taken by my son's DVD (which is indispensible for a long trip with a small child.)

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure about the explorers, but in my MM the glove box un-clips and folds down and there's all sorts of room for hiding wiring. I had my stereo out and ran some aux cables there with no problem at all, and nobody will ever see them.

I Was gonna suggest something like that, put a few in the glovebox, or even IN the center console, a couple you just SCREW in, so theres no drilling holes.

Id like to have like 2 or 3 in a row, but look OEM in my 95, I also put a dc to ac converter hardwired into my center console, so now I have 2 120v AC plugs, and 2 USB chargers, nice for my gps and ipod, even my USB cell phone cord

I have a one in the cargo area too. It use to be in the plastic jeust inside the cargo door, before the access panel. Now it's just loose back there, sence I don't have the pannels anymore.

The one I have is like the factory ST ones in the bed. It has a waterproof door on it.

In our '02 Monty, under the center console where you put those receipts at, in front of the AC controls, that piece will come out by removing 2 small screws, Under there is a 12 power source. I purchased from ebay a factory ash tray and lighter that fits right in there. I too needed an extra charging port.

I've been considering on my 99 mountie taking out the useless kleenex holder and mounting a couple right there. Would be pretty easy to fab something with lexan and bolt it to the metal crosspiece that is behind the tissue holder

Back