• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Adding a backup / rearview camera

johnny80

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
I know this post is a bit old, but I did install a backup camera on my 2013 Ford Explorer Base model SUV.

I created a blog of the steps I took, please take a look: http://2013explorerdiy.blogspot.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

awmenard

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I know this post is a bit old, but I did install a backup camera on my 2013 Ford Explorer Base model SUV.

I created a blog of the steps I took, please take a look: http://2013explorerdiy.blogspot.com/
Nice write up... I'm sure this will be useful for those looking to add a rear view camera to the base.

tropicvi

Reaction score
City, State
St Croix, US Virgin Islands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Range Rover HSE SC
Nicely done. I was going to do the same arrangement, but was delayed when the car was out of service for many months. The location you used for the monitor is exactly the same, chosen given the visual proximity of view to the rear view mirror on the left door. The only difference was I had sourced an OEM camera for the tailgate. Again, congrats on a neat install and a comprehensive "how to"

johnny80

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Nicely done. I was going to do the same arrangement, but was delayed when the car was out of service for many months. The location you used for the monitor is exactly the same, chosen given the visual proximity of view to the rear view mirror on the left door. The only difference was I had sourced an OEM camera for the tailgate. Again, congrats on a neat install and a comprehensive "how to"
Thanks,

Another thing I am thinking of doing is adding the same or similar camera on the front, so I can record, using the raspberry pi computer.

Right now I have a $25 video recorder, but that freezes once in a while.

johnny80

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Nice write up... I'm sure this will be useful for those looking to add a rear view camera to the base.
Thank you,

Yes, I have been searching for someone to have written something up on this, but did not find anything so I decided I would do it myself.

jrupp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
attn: Razziel24

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm curious why you and others have stated that the standard Explorer screen is not capable of displaying Video? I'm wanting to try to copy a friend's successful OEM upgrade on my XLT base radio per the following experience. My friend and I rented a 2012 XLT equipped with the standard MyFord System Radio and display. The vehicle surprisingly had OEM backup camera and the standard small radio screen displayed the backup camera images just fine. The radio Button array and display were identical in every way to Ford's standard XLT base radio's. My friend also had the same radio and, like me, had always wanted to add OEM backup to his XLT; but Only if available without invalidating 2 years warranty, and via plug and play. I copied down the VIN to find out what was up? The VIN showed us that Ford built XLT's for sure in 2012 and possibly other models and years with Backup camera capability on the standard Radio system with the same display. The Radio/display part number appears identical. He acquired an extremely discounted OEM camera $167, tailgate wire harness w/8 pin $31 and paid Ford $95 to Flash the system to "see" the camera and was Successful. (Later was told that by simply disconnecting battery, upon reconnect the camera would probably be activated/found by radio saving flash cash???)

What is the reason you say some screens don't work? Does Ford offer more than the 2 Radio options including the basic MyFord System or the MyFord Touch? None of the above discussion involves MyFord Touch radios.
Sure could use some help getting pointed in the right direction, as I also don't have any interest in an aftermarket solution, but sure don't want to waste my time and money if it can never work? Thanks in advance for your help and attention.

gomli

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
Back-up Camera

Hi all !

I've read pretty much all threads in here regarding adding a backup camera afterwards.

I've come to the conclusion that we are pretty much SOL unless you got it from factory of course.

I know I can add an after market one with either Rear view mirror display or on dash display. But I really wanted the factory Ford one.

So that brings me to my question...

In a thread I saw that someone discovered that the wiring harness in the lift gate is not the same with or without a camera. But what I haven't seen anywhere is, if the wiring harness is the same in the roof. Perhaps by changing the Wiring harness from the roof entry point and throughout the entire lift gate might work ?

If anyone has information or opinions that would be great :)

Cheers !
Jo

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Hi all !

I've read pretty much all threads in here regarding adding a backup camera afterwards.

I've come to the conclusion that we are pretty much SOL unless you got it from factory of course.

I know I can add an after market one with either Rear view mirror display or on dash display. But I really wanted the factory Ford one.

So that brings me to my question...

In a thread I saw that someone discovered that the wiring harness in the lift gate is not the same with or without a camera. But what I haven't seen anywhere is, if the wiring harness is the same in the roof. Perhaps by changing the Wiring harness from the roof entry point and throughout the entire lift gate might work ?

If anyone has information or opinions that would be great :)

Cheers !
Jo
Welcome to the Forum gomli.:wavey:
As I mentioned in my PM to you, I moved your thread/post to this existing one on the same topic. From reading some of the posts, it seems that the wiring harness in the roof is not the same as if you ordered that camera from the factory. That is the feeling I get but I have been wrong a couple of times.;)
I'm sure that someone can provide a definitive answer.
Good luck.

Peter

gomli

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
Welcome to the Forum gomli.:wavey:
As I mentioned in my PM to you, I moved your thread/post to this existing one on the same topic. From reading some of the posts, it seems that the wiring harness in the roof is not the same as if you ordered that camera from the factory. That is the feeling I get but I have been wrong a couple of times.;)
I'm sure that someone can provide a definitive answer.
Good luck.

Peter
Sorry about the extra post, was my first one one this forum hehe :)

That was my impression to, that Ford would have a harness for each type of option ordered for the vehicle, but when I looked on FordParts.com, I only see 2 Roof wiring harness, one with sunroof and one without. As opposed to the tailgate harness that has a multitude of options in regards to a combination of with/without camera and manual/automatic liftgate.

Again, this is probably just wishful thinking.

Cheers

gomli

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
Sorry about the extra post, was my first one one this forum hehe :)

That was my impression to, that Ford would have a harness for each type of option ordered for the vehicle, but when I looked on FordParts.com, I only see 2 Roof wiring harness, one with sunroof and one without. As opposed to the tailgate harness that has a multitude of options in regards to a combination of with/without camera and manual/automatic liftgate.

Again, this is probably just wishful thinking.

Cheers
Nervermind, I just did a proper search and it would appear that their are many wire harness for the roof... mind you none of them mention with/without camera...

Razziel24

Reaction score
City, State
Guayaquil
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5 V6 Base
attn: Razziel24

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm curious why you and others have stated that the standard Explorer screen is not capable of displaying Video? I'm wanting to try to copy a friend's successful OEM upgrade on my XLT base radio per the following experience. My friend and I rented a 2012 XLT equipped with the standard MyFord System Radio and display. The vehicle surprisingly had OEM backup camera and the standard small radio screen displayed the backup camera images just fine. The radio Button array and display were identical in every way to Ford's standard XLT base radio's. My friend also had the same radio and, like me, had always wanted to add OEM backup to his XLT; but Only if available without invalidating 2 years warranty, and via plug and play. I copied down the VIN to find out what was up? The VIN showed us that Ford built XLT's for sure in 2012 and possibly other models and years with Backup camera capability on the standard Radio system with the same display. The Radio/display part number appears identical. He acquired an extremely discounted OEM camera $167, tailgate wire harness w/8 pin $31 and paid Ford $95 to Flash the system to "see" the camera and was Successful. (Later was told that by simply disconnecting battery, upon reconnect the camera would probably be activated/found by radio saving flash cash???)

What is the reason you say some screens don't work? Does Ford offer more than the 2 Radio options including the basic MyFord System or the MyFord Touch? None of the above discussion involves MyFord Touch radios.
Sure could use some help getting pointed in the right direction, as I also don't have any interest in an aftermarket solution, but sure don't want to waste my time and money if it can never work? Thanks in advance for your help and attention.
hey man, this is very interesting, I ended up getting a generic camera and a rearview mirror with display.
I assumed that the oem base model radio was not capable of displaying video, but this sounds very good... i wonder if anyone got it working

Sunshine Lover

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2013 Base
Back camera

Hi guys
Glad to be a member of this great community.
I have an explorer 2013 Base level and after getting my vehicle, I realized that I made a huge mistake of not getting something with back camera and touch screen. Now,I need to install a rear camera,but after searching in google and youtube I have seen some videos of poor installation and not sure which type will be ok . Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Sunshine Lover.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one. Perhaps you will find some helpful info here.

Peter

atlbronco

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer
After market backup camera question

I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. We have a new 2015 Explorer base model.

It doesn't have a backup camera, but we've decided we'd like to have one. I'd prefer not to replace the rearview mirror or velcro a receiver on the dash. Can it work with the Radio/Sync display? I see there's a aux button and wondering if that's where it would attach?

If so, any suggestions on the best reasonably priced ones? Would adding an aftermarket camera invalidate any part of the warranty?

thanks!

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum altbronco.:wavey:
I used the Forum's 'Search' program and found this thread and merged yours with it. Post 41 has some interesting installation instructions. Adding a camera should not affect your warranty unless the camera is traced back as the issue for any future problem you may get. And then it would only affect the warranty on that part. Good luck.

Peter

atlbronco

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer
Welcome to the Forum altbronco.:wavey:
I used the Forum's 'Search' program and found this thread and merged yours with it. Post 41 has some interesting installation instructions. Adding a camera should not affect your warranty unless the camera is traced back as the issue for any future problem you may get. And then it would only affect the warranty on that part. Good luck.

Peter
Thank you!

ford96gtconv

Reaction score
City, State
brandon, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
Same Place

I'm in the same boat, just bought 2015 Base, really want to add the rear view camera. Still never read any posts that seem very good.

jmr061

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Edge
Pr-16 Exp Sport
You are going to have to jump through lots of hoops and trial and error if you want anything close to OEM which I believe is through the 4.2" display in the center stack. I am pretty sure it is doable just not simple.

I would look for a good aftermarket kit.

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
Is MFT a requirement for the backup camera? I've seen the camera on the 4.2 center screen and also the rearview mirror (also oem).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jmr061

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Edge
Pr-16 Exp Sport
Is MFT a requirement for the backup camera? I've seen the camera on the 4.2 center screen and also the rearview mirror (also oem).
On a 2013 Utility the OEM back up camera is in the rear view mirror.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B 2015 FPIU - Adding a second battery Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
A So I decided to just keep adding horns. and more horns... Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 14
M Adding aux power to inside rear of vehicle? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
K Adding Recovery Hooks on 5th Gen? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 13
kaotikgood Adding 'SPORT' logo to Weathertech liners Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
S Adding Intelligent Access to rear doors Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
D Adding fog lights to 2016+ Base Explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 43
B Adding Switches Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 38
B Adding Flowmaster to 2014 Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 21
J Adding Auto Side Mirror Folding System Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 27
H Options on adding an Auxiliary Input Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 15
N Adding Side Mirror Turn Signals Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
P Adding OEM Class 3 Trailer Hitch? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
G Adding a turbo to the 3.5l Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 10
A Adding "Automatic headlights"? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
P Feasibility of adding heated mirrors Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 26
A Adding Remote Start Access Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 105
1 Adding dashcam. Any tips? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 126
D High beams after adding HID's Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
L Will adding magnaflow cause problems? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 8
O Adding / Removing Dash Trim Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 23
K Adding a powered lift gate to an explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 14
N Adding Fender Vents Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 40
J Adding Sync to base explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 32
R Adding Autolamp to 2012 Base Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
F Adding Garmin SatNav - Hide the power cable Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 12
K Adding Mods to Explorer- Base Model Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 5
S Adding Portable XM Radio Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
D Adding the 110 outlet on the second row console Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
R Adding DVD and ambient lighting to XLT Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 18
S Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 143
B Used OEM backup camera installed, shows very grainy/squiggly, video link provided. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
H Rear backup cam/NAV, add to base, maintain factory appearance? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
X 2013 Limited Head Light & Backup Light Options Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
L After Market Backup Lights Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
T I have my 2013 base explorer. I'd like to install a backup camera. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
A Auxiliary or Backup Battery? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 40
W Backup Bulb Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 21
R Outside rearview mirror... Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 10