Adding a powered lift gate to an explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a powered lift gate to an explorer

Kjeffery

Reaction score
City, State
Austin tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
On the 21st I will be biting the bullet and getting my first Ford, an Explorer.

Now the question is......Can a power lift gate package be installed on an explorer that does not come with it?

I am planning to get as much as my budget will allow and I willbe getting the tow package installed with no problem.

So far what I want is an Explorer XLT with the 202a package, power lift gate and tow package with the v6 under the hood.

Now I have found one in blue that has all this but may not be there when I go to shop.
It has the BLIS system. How do those that have it like it?

Reason I will be shopping on the 21st is because I am waiting on the close of a house I inherited. Paper work is done, money will be in place thursday and the papers will be signed monday. Just waiting for the title company to say money is transfered( they have conformation from the bank that funds are there).

It has been worst then waiting on santa clause.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most anything can be done if you throw enough money at it, and adding the power liftgate afterwards sounds like an expensive proposition. You might want to check out Fordparts.com to see if you can find the assorted pieces that you will need (lifting mechanism, any wiring, buttons, trim pieces,etc...).

You would be far better off from a cost perspective waiting on the vehicle you want. That is of course if you can wait. For all I know you are walking 5 miles to work, through the snow, up hill, both ways.

Then again, it might not be possible to add it afterward. A call to your dealer shoulder able to clarify that.

I have BLIS and while it is nice, it isn't something I could not live without. HOWEVER, my wife LOVES it! She refused to drive the Explorer until she saw it in action and prove that it works.

As for the power lift gate, I agree with Vince. If it is something you want, try your best to get in with the Explorer. Adding things after the fact always cost more than what they can be done for while being built. Also, the warranty for aftermarket may not be the same. If you can find an Explorer on a lot that meets your needs, haggle with the salemen and get the pice down to where you want it.

That's my 2 cents.

Official answer from Ford is no.. is it physically possible?? Sure, but will be extremely expensive to buy parts, buttons, wiring, motor and pay to have it installed.. possibly software reflashes as well and/or sensors.

I have BLIS and while it is nice, it isn't something I could not live without. HOWEVER, my wife LOVES it! She refused to drive the Explorer until she saw it in action and prove that it works.
I agree. I have the BLIS and while it is nice to have, I would not miss it either. As long as I have been driving (49 yrs), I have added those small 2" convex stick-on mirrors to the outside mirrors of my vehicles. I have also added them to my BLIS equipped Explorer mirrors because they actually show what is in the blind spot and they also show your rear wheels which is handy for parking.
I have the 'Park Assist' but have yet to use it because I really haven't had a reason to parallel park in over a year.

Peter

Don't forget that the factory power liftgate also has the pinch sensors in the rubber moulding that lines the underside of the window glass on each side.

As others have stated, just keep looking for one that has what you want. Search the internet, if need be, maybe your local dealers can do a dealer swap and bring one in from somewhere a bit farther away.

1) congrats on your near-term purchase
2) if the one you see has all you want, then maybe try to talk to dealer and see if they would put it on hold with a $500 deposit. Perhaps if they know then can book a sale, even if its not completed for 10+ days, they may hold it for you.
3) if you can wait 4-6 weeks, then maybe you should think about placing order with exact options & color you want.

Is it possible to add automatic powered trunk lift

Just curious is it possible to add a powered lift to our trunks if it didn't come with the car? It was an option I wanted but not available at my price point or model so I figured it wasn't something that would be a deal breaker. Now with tax return my husband and I gave eachother an amount we can spend freely on ourselves and I want to put it towards the car. I especially love the the foot activated lift but I don't even think that was available for the explorer. How much does something like that usually cost? Is it possible to add to a keyfob since there are blank buttons or would it be a new keyfob?

I am also considering adding remote start since summer can get so hot and We have a one year old so a cooler car would be nice as I load groceries or getting ready to head to work.

Thank you for merging, has there been any updates or changes to this since it's been over a year? Or is it still a no on adding this feature?

Thank you for merging, has there been any updates or changes to this since it's been over a year? Or is it still a no on adding this feature?
I would think that it is still a NO GO since nothing has really changed. You would have to integrate it with the remote and the left hand information screen. Also I'm not sure if it was determined if the required wiring exists.

Peter

I have been looking into adding a viper alarm with remote start and the kit I was looking at says it can include a trunk popper. I am sure this can't make it open all the way like it would do to a sedan but how would that work (if it would) for an SUV trunk? Going to a dealer on Friday to find out for sure but has anyone used a trunk popper with aftermarket alarm?

I have been looking into adding a viper alarm with remote start and the kit I was looking at says it can include a trunk popper. I am sure this can't make it open all the way like it would do to a sedan but how would that work (if it would) for an SUV trunk? Going to a dealer on Friday to find out for sure but has anyone used a trunk popper with aftermarket alarm?
Sounds to me like it just unlocks it.

Peter

Lift gate

I am wondering if I can add the power lift gate option to my new explorer ?

The answer to your question depends on how much money you have to spend. Anything can be added it all depends on how much you are willing to spend! Worst case scenario is that you would have to put in a whole wiring harness if the wiring is not already in place, Then you will need to put in the electric struts and add the switches along with a new key fob.

I am wondering if I can add the power lift gate option to my new explorer ?
Welcome to the Forum Ralmirez2014. :wavey:
As I mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

Back