• Register Today It's free!

adding a second alternator

joe doe

Reaction score
City, State
slatington,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ex sport 4.0 ohv
i would like to add another alt to my 2000 ex sport with a 4.0 ohv engine.has anyone ever done this?are there brackets available to do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

high output alternator might be easier, just a thought tho.

got one already ...i want to use my original alt 130 amp to power the truck and my second 200 amp to run my amplifiers

Yll have to fab that all up yourself. If you took out the air cond. Pump you could do it real easy....lol

space would be first concern since space is limited, taking the AC out would really help tho, might as well get 2 HO alts. rather than just a stock + a HO imo....

ac removal is not an option for me ....i need that..lol...so i will have to make some magic i guess...lol..

ya i know what ya mean, i cant wait to get my ac fixed, i dont really know where u would put it, but you could make your own bracket might be enough room on drivers side maybe, good luck

if anyone has tackled this job please chime in .

actaullly if this turns out to be relatively easy, i may do this later down the road, so if ya do end up doing it, do a write up as your doing it, would be pretty cool mod if u can do it

well i looked under the hood but it doesnt look like theres enough room.unless like someone said ,..remove the a/c pump........would be easy then i guess.just gonna have to go with more batteries i guess

upgrade the big three yet?

How about towing along a snowmobile trailer with a generator mounted on it, you could put more speakers on the trailer too and really light up the neighborhood.............just a thought....

i am still running a high power alt .i actually purchased another alt since this posting .it is to be a 280 amp made by sea manufacturing out of fla.
i never had it load tested but on the phone they said it spun 280 with a overdrive pulley .
i run a overdrive pulley with it too.still looking to see if anyone has added a second alt to a ex 4.0 ohv engine yet .???
might have to goole this idea and see whats out there .

what about a second battery underhood??for a 2000 4.0 ohv?anybody?

Old thread but as an alternative, since space is so limited, you could fab up some brackets and run the alternator off of the rear output shaft from the transfer case ;). Of course it would only charge when the vehicle is moving.

Back