Adding a terrain management switch to an explorer that does not have one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a terrain management switch to an explorer that does not have one?

chaos12135

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU
Basically the question is in the title, is this something possibly, if so is it going to be like plug and play, or not possible at all? I'm refering to this part btw, if no one knows what I'm talking about:
GB5Z-14B596-AC

Possible yes. But it's going to be more than a switch. The terrain management system would require sensors and programming for the computer and possibly a module dependent on Fords design of this system

I don't know if you can add TMS to a vehicle. Evenefinitely if it was possible, I doubt very much that it will be just plug and play. There are several things that have to be taken into consideration for the system to function. Here is what TMS is/does.
The optional, class-exclusive1* Terrain Management System allows you to easily shift on the fly into one of four settings to match the terrain you're driving on: Normal – biases torque to the front wheels and sends it to the rear only as needed; Mud/Ruts – switches the throttle to a more aggressive mode, limits upshifting and desensitizes stability control, allowing the tires to spin as needed; Sand – the throttle throws maximum torque to the wheels, placing the transmission in lower gears for as long as possible, which allows the wheels to spin aggressively; Grass/Gravel/Snow – places the throttle in a setting to minimize wheelslip.
The following thread is in the PIU section.

Peter

Terrain Management only comes on the 4wd models, you cant get terrain management without 4wd.

Back