• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Adding Auto Side Mirror Folding System

jfp350z

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I saw a similar thread the other day about auto folding side view mirrors and decided to install this module on my explorer:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mirror-Folding-Overload-Protection/dp/B00D0TB0C0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=01HXK7M3GWDMVZKM125G

I was wondering if anyone has access to the wiring diagrams for the power locks and power folding mirrors. The instructions are pretty straight forward and looks like it would be fairly easy to integrate into the system wiring. Any help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jfp350z

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Anybody? Guess I could purchase the diagrams off ebay. Or does anyone have a better idea?

awmenard

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Ask the Russians how they did it. sashka588@gmail.com

They are the ones that have been referred to in the original post on Instagram (autoworksrussia)

jfp350z

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Just wanted to let you guys know, I got the auto folding working on the EX. It took some research and I had to buy the $10 shop manual DVD off eBay, but its working great. I was able to tie all the wires into it from the wiring harness under the driver's seat. Its really nice not having to remember to push the fold button anymore.

dentalpain

Reaction score
City, State
Chipley, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Would you be willing to share your knowledge with the those of us that would like to try this? Which wire/how did you splice/tips?

jfp350z

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Sure I'd be glad to. First of all here is the wiring diagram the manufacture sent me.

The way I installed the device, makes the mirrors fold in when you lock the doors. (Only when accessory power IS NOT present) They fold out when the device senses accessory power, ie. when you start the vehicle.

12 volt constant power, 12 volt accessory power and ground are easy to find with a multimeter.

The lock sense wire is located in the drivers side B piller. Pin 6 or the Gray with Brown stripe wire is the one you want.

Next are the power output wires going to the mirrors themselves. Luckily the wires are shared between the two mirrors. They are Green with violet stripe and Violet with brown stripe. It is VERY important that you cut the wires coming from the wiring harness. If you don't it will feed 12 volts into the folding device and smoke it... I learned the hard way!

Now you have a auto folding mirror system, with one problem. The original button for the folding mirrors is no longer functional. The reason you can't wire it into the device is because the mirror fold button on the vehicle door is controlled by the drivers side control module. Hence why you have to cut the to original wires. The only way around this is get a 2-way momentary switch and wire it into the folding device which has two extra wires for this. All wires where butt spliced together and then a piece of heat shrink was put over them to protect the connection.

dentalpain

Reaction score
City, State
Chipley, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport

jfp350z

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Right on, defiantly a cheaper solution. I tore open my damaged folding module and found that it is practically three relays. One thing I like about the module I used, is that it has over-load current protection. If you try to fold the mirrors when they are iced up it will automatically stop the process.

metal_n

Reaction score
City, State
Moscow
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited+
Could you create a quick wiring diagram / schematic for the door harness / relay installation?
Here you go:

Photo of the mirrors control connector and the contact for the folding/unfolding that shall be used:

lraia

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport 3/18
Here you go:

Photo of the mirrors control connector and the contact for the folding/unfolding that shall be used:
Thank you, that is perfect!
Loren

idesi1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited 301
Awesome post...
Where do I buy the Relay from?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

RYWL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limted
i have bought the dvd off ebay as well. i got it to boot up with their instructions to set the computer date back, but for some reason i can't view any of the diagrams. Just a blank box, any idea why ?

jfp350z

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
i have bought the dvd off ebay as well. i got it to boot up with their instructions to set the computer date back, but for some reason i can't view any of the diagrams. Just a blank box, any idea why ?
The reason my Ford manual didn't show any of the diagrams is that I didn't have SVG Viewer 3.0 installed. It's an old program that you can google and find free off the net.

Hope this helps!

CHeesesteak22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I can't the any images in this walk through post, does anybody have them stored? I purchased one of the auto power fold mirror modules and Dont know which wiring harness I am looking for under the steering wheel!

If anyone has a wiring diagram and location information for the 2014 explorer sport it would be much appreciated.

Sure I'd be glad to. First of all here is the wiring diagram the manufacture sent me.

[/URL][/IMG]

The way I installed the device, makes the mirrors fold in when you lock the doors. (Only when accessory power IS NOT present) They fold out when the device senses accessory power, ie. when you start the vehicle.

12 volt constant power, 12 volt accessory power and ground are easy to find with a multimeter.

The lock sense wire is located in the drivers side B piller. Pin 6 or the Gray with Brown stripe wire is the one you want.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Next are the power output wires going to the mirrors themselves. Luckily the wires are shared between the two mirrors. They are Green with violet stripe and Violet with brown stripe. It is VERY important that you cut the wires coming from the wiring harness. If you don't it will feed 12 volts into the folding device and smoke it... I learned the hard way!

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Now you have a auto folding mirror system, with one problem. The original button for the folding mirrors is no longer functional. The reason you can't wire it into the device is because the mirror fold button on the vehicle door is controlled by the drivers side control module. Hence why you have to cut the to original wires. The only way around this is get a 2-way momentary switch and wire it into the folding device which has two extra wires for this. All wires where butt spliced together and then a piece of heat shrink was put over them to protect the connection.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum CHeesesteak22.:wave:
I suggest sending a PM to the original poster to see if he can restore them or send you copies. Disappearing pictures is a common occurrence when they are not stored on the Forum's servers.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.