Adding Auto Side Mirror Folding System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Auto Side Mirror Folding System

jfp350z

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I saw a similar thread the other day about auto folding side view mirrors and decided to install this module on my explorer:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mirror-Folding-Overload-Protection/dp/B00D0TB0C0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=01HXK7M3GWDMVZKM125G

I was wondering if anyone has access to the wiring diagrams for the power locks and power folding mirrors. The instructions are pretty straight forward and looks like it would be fairly easy to integrate into the system wiring. Any help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody? Guess I could purchase the diagrams off ebay. Or does anyone have a better idea?

Ask the Russians how they did it. sashka588@gmail.com

They are the ones that have been referred to in the original post on Instagram (autoworksrussia)

Just wanted to let you guys know, I got the auto folding working on the EX. It took some research and I had to buy the $10 shop manual DVD off eBay, but its working great. I was able to tie all the wires into it from the wiring harness under the driver's seat. Its really nice not having to remember to push the fold button anymore.

Would you be willing to share your knowledge with the those of us that would like to try this? Which wire/how did you splice/tips?

Sure I'd be glad to. First of all here is the wiring diagram the manufacture sent me.

power%20mirrors9_zpslttb6nay.jpg

The way I installed the device, makes the mirrors fold in when you lock the doors. (Only when accessory power IS NOT present) They fold out when the device senses accessory power, ie. when you start the vehicle.

12 volt constant power, 12 volt accessory power and ground are easy to find with a multimeter.

The lock sense wire is located in the drivers side B piller. Pin 6 or the Gray with Brown stripe wire is the one you want.

power%20mirrors5_zpsdpfye5sw.jpg

power%20mirrors4_zpsn3rmcqjc.jpg

Next are the power output wires going to the mirrors themselves. Luckily the wires are shared between the two mirrors. They are Green with violet stripe and Violet with brown stripe. It is VERY important that you cut the wires coming from the wiring harness. If you don't it will feed 12 volts into the folding device and smoke it... I learned the hard way!

power%20mirrors2_zpsw7vo7g9p.jpg

power%20mirrors3_zps8l9b1mzx.jpg

power%20mirrors1_zpsfmo8twe5.jpg

Now you have a auto folding mirror system, with one problem. The original button for the folding mirrors is no longer functional. The reason you can't wire it into the device is because the mirror fold button on the vehicle door is controlled by the drivers side control module. Hence why you have to cut the to original wires. The only way around this is get a 2-way momentary switch and wire it into the folding device which has two extra wires for this. All wires where butt spliced together and then a piece of heat shrink was put over them to protect the connection.

Right on, defiantly a cheaper solution. I tore open my damaged folding module and found that it is practically three relays. One thing I like about the module I used, is that it has over-load current protection. If you try to fold the mirrors when they are iced up it will automatically stop the process.

Could you create a quick wiring diagram / schematic for the door harness / relay installation?

Here you go:
zmb6f5.jpg

Photo of the mirrors control connector and the contact for the folding/unfolding that shall be used:
5xkj79.jpg

i have bought the dvd off ebay as well. i got it to boot up with their instructions to set the computer date back, but for some reason i can't view any of the diagrams. Just a blank box, any idea why ?

i have bought the dvd off ebay as well. i got it to boot up with their instructions to set the computer date back, but for some reason i can't view any of the diagrams. Just a blank box, any idea why ?

The reason my Ford manual didn't show any of the diagrams is that I didn't have SVG Viewer 3.0 installed. It's an old program that you can google and find free off the net.

Hope this helps!

Hello Everyone. I am a first time poster with a few questions regarding the wiring for the relay for this mod. First, I assume the relay used is a standard four pin relay with pins labelled 30, 85, 86 and 87. If so am I correct in assuming the negative terminal from the lock connector is spliced to pin 85, the +12v from the connector with the closure on it (the unused connector in the diagram) is spliced and connected to pins 30 and 86 and finally the wire for the folding mirrors on the control connector in the diagram is spliced and connected to pin 87 on the relay? Did I get this right?

Do we need to buy power folding mirrors itself or just relay will do the job? I have ford explorer 2015 XLT (non power folding mirrors)

Do we need to buy power folding mirrors itself or just relay will do the job? I have ford explorer 2015 XLT (non power folding mirrors)

That's the question I've asked myself a few times too, I can't find much info. I do believe from looking at the Ebay prices for various mirrors that the motor that folds the mirrors on non-power-folding specced cars is not inside the mirror assembly itself. This would mean you'd have to buy the original power folding mirrors to get it. They're quite expensive (especially if they're heated and have BLIS in them etc).

Then there's the question of having the button that's on the driver side door, so you'd need a new button panel there (~$100 probably).

Not sure about the harness either. If the base harness doesn't already have the wires in it for controlling the folding, then that would have to be installed, probably a bit of a pain to do.

Also not sure if there's an additional module required, but probably not as - as far as I know - there's no setting for the mirrors on the display. So it's probably all just power & relay based.

My car doesn't have the power fold mirrors either and I've toyed with the idea of doing it somehow myself. But without knowing if the mirror actually has the motor in it or not already, and if the harness has the right wires already, I keep pushing this project to the bottom of my list...

I'd also love any insight if someone knows more about what the non-folding specced cars already have in them in regards to this.

Would like to add folding mirrors to my 2014 XLT Explorer because of a tight fit in the garage. My understanding the Control Module for the mirrors is located under the drivers seat. Question is can the existing module be programmed or is it possible to locate a module on an existing wrecked Limited in a salvage yard that would work, plug and play so to speak. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have the same problem, and I am considering the same solution. Isn't there also a switch to fold them?

Thanks for the reply Jon, you are correct on the switch, which folds the mirrors. I have already installed the folding mirrors along with the correct switch on the drivers side door. The install of the mirrors and switch was extremely easy and was hoping that's all it would take, but no such luck. The wiring harness seems to be complete, but the module under the seat needs to be changed or programmed based on the information I have found so far. I am hoping someone could tell me if a module off a donor Limited Explorer with the folding mirror function can be switched out with the one I have or do I need Ford to program the one I have to match my vin #. It seems there is a lot of information out there on guys putting folding mirrors on F150 trucks, but not a lot of info. on newer explorers.

Old thread, revived.

Anybody know if this is possible to apply using FORSCAN? I know they added auto-fold in 2016, and prior was just power-fold. But since I have power-fold in my 2015, just wondering if someone's discovered a FORSCAN setting to accomplish this...

Old thread, revived.

Anybody know if this is possible to apply using FORSCAN? I know they added auto-fold in 2016, and prior was just power-fold. But since I have power-fold in my 2015, just wondering if someone's discovered a FORSCAN setting to accomplish this...

I havent found anything yet. This is the latest cheat sheet i am using.

The global windows is a nice feature but the wiring is missing on our early models. The relay method for the mirrors seems like the way to go. Most of the wiring diagram images posted here are broken now though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, kinda figured that was the case. That's the same FORSCAN cheat sheet I use. As for wiring, I've got the complete OEM wiring schematics for the 2014 as well as 2019 Explorer models in hardcopy and the 2015 model on digits, so finding wires isn't an issue, I was just hoping to go the programming route rather than hardware route.

Thank you, though.

Back