Adding automatic headlight

omero

Reaction score
City, State
Kuwait
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 XLT
Hi all,

I have a 2007 XLT Explorer and I wanted to add autolights. I already have the light sensor near the windshield and it's working because when I unlock using the keyless remote at night, the fog lights go on, if unlocked at day the fog lights won't go on. The light switch that I have is the standard one, without auto position on the left. I thought that all what I need is the switch, so I bought a switch for EB model and installed it, but it didn't work. I think I may need to do some wiring.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Omero

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is actually the led for the factory alarm. I would look into an aftermarket kit if t is that important.

like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...fe6585e&itemid=200284776613&ff4=263602_304652

Thank you for your reply. However, I'm certain that the thing near the windshield is the light sensor ( also called sunload sensor). Yesterday at daytime, I covered it with my hand and the rear view mirror went dark. When I removed my hand, the rear view mirror went clear again.

So far, after looking into the wiring diagrams, it seems that the problem is with the smart junction box. There's a violet-green wire connected from the auto position in the switch and going from the switch to the SJB to signal the auto position to the SJB which connects the power to the lights from the battery junction box, if it's dark. In other words, I have all the wiring that connects the switch, the sensor, the lights and BJB to the SJB. but the auto lights doesn't work.

Do I have to flash the SJB or something?

Any help?

So far, after looking into the wiring diagrams, it seems that the problem is with the smart junction box. There's a violet-green wire connected from the auto position in the switch and going from the switch to the SJB to signal the auto position to the SJB which connects the power to the lights from the battery junction box, if it's dark. In other words, I have all the wiring that connects the switch, the sensor, the lights and BJB to the SJB. but the auto lights doesn't work.

Do I have to flash the SJB or something?

Any help?

you would need someone with a ford scanner and some know how to flash it to work.

In the workshop manuals, one of the steps for fixing autolamps not working is to reprogram the SJB. There is only that one wire for the auto position that is a visible hardware difference.

In the workshop manuals, one of the steps for fixing autolamps not working is to reprogram the SJB. There is only that one wire for the auto position that is a visible hardware difference.

Thanks David,

I'll go to the dealership at the closest chance and ask them to program the SJB.

to reprogram it you need as built data, if he uses his vin, it will not program auto lamps. since its lacking the feature. you would need to borrow a vin with auto lamps. and use that vehicles as built data.

the tech actually inputs the values, but they have no clue what they mean. ford does not give that info out.

only thing im not sure is if this a programmable parameter like dlr. that can be toggled on and off with a ford scanner.

to reprogram it you need as built data, if he uses his vin, it will not program auto lamps. since its lacking the feature. you would need to borrow a vin with auto lamps. and use that vehicles as built data.

the tech actually inputs the values, but they have no clue what they mean. ford does not give that info out.

only thing im not sure is if this a programmable parameter like dlr. that can be toggled on and off with a ford scanner.

Thanks Waskly for the valuable information, I'll keep that in mind when talking to Ford.

I am thinking that it might be cheaper to get a new SJB from the junk yard. it is not to bad of a job to remove.

Back