Adding Bluetooth..? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Bluetooth..?

hatred

Reaction score
Did a search (I'm on many forums so I tried that first) and didn't see what I needed. The wife is looking at a 2013 Explorer and asked the salesman if it came with Bluetooth and he said no. The head unit has the phone symbol on it, so I was certain it did. He said its an "upgrade" she could do. Does it not come standard on all new Explorers? If it isn't standard, is it a pain to add later...?

Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If there is a Sync compatible radio, or the My Ford Touch screen, then yes, it has a BT connection for a phone. MFT provides a BT connection for music as well.

If there is a Sync compatible radio, or the My Ford Touch screen, then yes, it has a BT connection for a phone. MFT provides a BT connection for music as well.

I know it has the XM/Sirius radio in it. The wife was "building" a new one last night on the website and it looked as if it you added the MTF bluetooth, it also added the XM/Sirius setup to it...

Did a search (I'm on many forums so I tried that first) and didn't see what I needed. The wife is looking at a 2013 Explorer and asked the salesman if it came with Bluetooth and he said no. The head unit has the phone symbol on it, so I was certain it did. He said its an "upgrade" she could do. Does it not come standard on all new Explorers? If it isn't standard, is it a pain to add later...?

Thanks for any input.

Hi, hatred!

SYNC with MyFord is optional on the base model and standard on the XLT. If you want SYNC with MyFord Touch, it's optional on the XLT and comes standard on the Limited. Check out this link for more information:

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/packages/?vehicle=explorer

Unfortunately, SYNC cannot be added after your vehicle leaves the factory. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Rebecca

hatred,
The ford.com website has the 13' on their but you can't order one anymore. You can build what you like and then search dealerships for that 13 or wait til 14's are available. The basics will be the same and I think you can order a 14 from the dealer. On a very basic level when you see SYNC think BT, in reality it does so much more.

hatred,
The ford.com website has the 13' on their but you can't order one anymore. You can build what you like and then search dealerships for that 13 or wait til 14's are available. The basics will be the same and I think you can order a 14 from the dealer. On a very basic level when you see SYNC think BT, in reality it does so much more.

Yah shes not wanting a bells/whistles model, shes not into all the extra stuff, just wanted the BT. I was shocked when he said no then I said "what's phone button for then?'....

Yah shes not wanting a bells/whistles model, shes not into all the extra stuff, just wanted the BT. I was shocked when he said no then I said "what's phone button for then?'....

She will love the Myford touch and sync. My mom in her 70's thought it wasn't so important. But even the bigger screen for the backup camera is very nice. She saw my explorer xlt and loved it, but didnt want to go as big so she bought a 2013 edge. To save some money she opted out of the myford touch, said she'd never need it. But now admits she wished she had it.

If your wife has an iphone, droid or microsoft phone. she can download destinations. Find an address, when she gets in the explorer and goes to services, it will ask her if she wants to go to the destination she downloaded. It gives turn by turn directions without the navigation system.

Best thing ever is the heated and cooled seats if your in a warm or cold state.

Bluetooth add-on

Ok let me start by saying Im not too happy with Ford right now.. love the car, but.. :)

Ok for the question, I purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer about three weeks ago. Its a "haul the kids and their friends around" car, so we went basic on it, nothing special.

When I purchased the car it had all the little buttons, CD, SIRIUS, Phone, etc.. dealer said "Yep has it all!" Now that I own it, I realize it has NOTHING! No SIRIUS, no Bluetooth (the fact that a 2013 car does not have Bluetooth as standard is insane, but I digress). After noting that it does not even have Bluetooth and I was sold Bluetooth the dealer said, whoops, we will install it. Dropped it off, and yep, installed... BUT its some lame third party Bluetooth system and now I have a huge hole in my dash for some weird connect button!! While it works, its not integrated AT ALL!

Am I to believe that the Bluetooth module cannot be added to the system AFTER the fact? All the buttons are there, sans the one on the steering wheel...

Can someone make sense of this for me... I have searched the web, and nothing mentions "Bluetooth add on"... so really, Ford has fully removed that option?

Given that they kinda screwed me both in the opinion of the dealer and myself, I can return the car and get a different make (they sell the "equivalent" KIA, that HAS all the options, though smaller and I do like the Explorer better), can the system NOT be upgraded?

Ok sorry for the general rant, just tired of the "poop" I guess! :(

Thanks!!

Ok let me start by saying Im not too happy with Ford right now.. love the car, but.. :)

Ok for the question, I purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer about three weeks ago. Its a "haul the kids and their friends around" car, so we went basic on it, nothing special.

When I purchased the car it had all the little buttons, CD, SIRIUS, Phone, etc.. dealer said "Yep has it all!" Now that I own it, I realize it has NOTHING! No SIRIUS, no Bluetooth (the fact that a 2013 car does not have Bluetooth as standard is insane, but I digress). After noting that it does not even have Bluetooth and I was sold Bluetooth the dealer said, whoops, we will install it. Dropped it off, and yep, installed... BUT its some lame third party Bluetooth system and now I have a huge hole in my dash for some weird connect button!! While it works, its not integrated AT ALL!

Am I to believe that the Bluetooth module cannot be added to the system AFTER the fact? All the buttons are there, sans the one on the steering wheel...

Can someone make sense of this for me... I have searched the web, and nothing mentions "Bluetooth add on"... so really, Ford has fully removed that option?

Given that they kinda screwed me both in the opinion of the dealer and myself, I can return the car and get a different make (they sell the "equivalent" KIA, that HAS all the options, though smaller and I do like the Explorer better), can the system NOT be upgraded?

Ok sorry for the general rant, just tired of the "poop" I guess! :(

Thanks!!
Welcome to the Forum SipnEat.:wavey:
Although the info in the left margin doesn't indicate the model, I'm assuming it is the Basic Explorer. It does not come with Bluetooth. Bluetooth comes as part of the SYNC with MyFord upgrade ($294). That also includes the 911 Assist and Vehicle Health Report functions. I don't know for sure but I don't think it can be added after the fact.

I am also moving your post to an existing thread on this topic.

Peter

Back