Adding brake controller to 07 without tow package - is there a brake wire going back to the rear ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding brake controller to 07 without tow package - is there a brake wire going back to the rear ?

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Hi all -

On our 07 I am adding a brake controller. Originally, the truck had 4 flat connector only. I already have the 7 pin connector that came with the class 3/4 hitch platform that I installed.
I looked under the dash and I see the plug for brake controller. Is there a brake wire somewhere in the back or I need to run it ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If there is one it will be a blue wire somewhere in the loom at the rear of the car. On some cars they ran the wire for a brake controller all the way to the back and some it stops short somewhere. The only way to tell is to open up the trailer connector wire loom and see. Some people have said the wire is within a couple feet of the end so if its there a short extension is all that is needed if not its further up somewhere.
On my car 2010 the wire does not go to the rear I think it stops in the dash on the passenger side but I have not tried to trace it. It may be easier and quicker to run a new one if you don't find it pre ran to the rear.

Great, thanks.

I'll dive under and take a look.

On my 2006, the wire ran within 2 feet of the four flat connector at the bumper. It was in the factory loom but folded back over it’s self 180°. It ran through to the plug under the dashboard so it was a pretty simple installation

Just an idea in case you might be interested in doing it the way I did.

I didn’t want to cut off the 4 flat connector because 2 of my trailers use that type. I made a jumper wire using a trailer side 4 flat connector with and about 1 foot of four conductor wire that I connected to the screw terminals of the back of the 7 round connector.
I also screw connected to the blue brake controller lead, and ran a 12 gauge wire up to the battery with a 30 amp fuse.
Now when I use the camper trailer, I plug the wire that feeds the 7 round into the trucks 4 flat for lights.

I get the 4 flat idea, I am already doing it by having the 4 wires from the 7 plug ending with 4 flat trailer end. I just plug it to the 4 flat factory plug.

I do not get this :), please elaborate.

"I also screw connected to the blue brake controller lead, and ran a 12 gauge wire up to the battery with a 30 amp fuse."

I just meant how the other two wires attached at the back of my aftermarket 7 pin connector. 4 of the wires came from the four flat jumper wire, and the other two came from the truck. The brake controller wire was in the harness by the back bumper, but I also ran power from trucks battery to the 7 pin connector to keep camper batteries trickle charged while driving.

By screw connected, I meant to the back of the 7 round, as shown below

41D86EC9-8DC1-4C32-B0FA-6581C4A24FC0.png

Got it.
I looked under and of course the blue brake wire is right there by the 4 flat harness taped up to the main loom.
Lesson learned - look first before asking questions :)
I just assumed that that 07 without tow package had nothing there. It turns out it has the aux tranny cooler, brake controller plug under dash and the blue wire. So they did not build them consistently. Good for me.

Thanks for the pointers.

Your 2007 sounds just like my 2006. 4,0 liter V6, five speed automatic, small tow hitch, and trans cooler.

One final suggestion if you do like me and also run the constant power from the battery to the rear bumper...I used a yellow ring terminal on the positive stud in between the battery and the fuse box, rather than going directly to the battery so the connection doesn’t get messed with every time you disconnect the battery. Then a basic inline fuse holder with a 30 amp fuse.

I slipped a few short pieces of scrap vacuum hose over the wire in the spots that I zip tied it to the frame to prevent abrasion. So far so good after nine years.

Good suggestion, thanks.

I also always worry that my added wires will rub through somewhere. I use sometimes those 1/4 inch plastic corrugated looms/conduits you can get at Harbor Freight cheaply.

Back