• Register Today It's free!

Adding Exhaust Tips to XLT

royski

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 XLT
One of my only annoyances with the styling on the 2020 is the lack of exhaust tips on the XLT model.

Just seeing ideas on how much of a headache it would be to put the Limited lower rear on and add the tips as well that the Limited comes with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if the tips are part of the muffler or exactly how they are attached. Welded? What's Up with the 2020 Ford Explorer ST's Innovative "Fake" Exhaust Tips?

Peter

1589210803393.png

I guess my main question is, will the lower valance of the Limited (has the 2 exhaust cut outs) fit on the lower rear bumper cover of the XLT, or will I need to buy a limited version of that as well?

As for exhaust, if I am going to be replacing anything, I will probably go with the Borla system.

If you look at the part shown as #6, it appears the XLT, Limited and Platinum use the same part.
I don't know why there are 4 different part number endings (letters) for the same piece.:dunno:

Peter

That was confusing me as well. This idea might not be worth the cost the more I think about it, especially if I decide to upgrade to an ST in a few years. I just hate how "naked" the rear looks the with the turn down exhaust kinda tucked underneath.

One of my only annoyances with the styling on the 2020 is the lack of exhaust tips on the XLT model.

Just seeing ideas on how much of a headache it would be to put the Limited lower rear on and add the tips as well that the Limited comes with?
I was thinking about doing this as well. The Limited parts would be perfect because there's only one tip on each side, and the Limited's rounded valance openings do line up with the XLT tips, at least horizontally.

Then I found that the lower valance panels (LB5Z-17K835-EA on the 202A XLT and LB5Z-17K835-AC on the Limited) are NOT interchangeable unless you also replace the lower bumper cover (LB5Z-17K835-JA or -FA or -EB or -HA on the XLT and LB5Z-17K835-BB or -DA on the Limited).

Depending on trailer-tow or not, the Limited lower bumper cover is around $300-320 and the valance is $100.

I'm not even sure what to do about the tips, since they're welded in place at the factory. Even the Limited tips now are just for show; the actual pipes angle downward under the back of the chrome tips. My guess would be aftermarket clip-ons of some kind and some cutting.

I'm going to pass on this myself, but it does look possible.

If you look at the part shown as #6, it appears the XLT, Limited and Platinum use the same part.
I don't know why there are 4 different part number endings (letters) for the same piece.:dunno:

Peter
I was confused about that as well. For the XLT, it's because the base XLT has no lower silver-painted valance panel and the XLT 202A (it says "with front fog lights) does, plus there are different versions for trailer-tow or not.

I have an ST, but any competent exhaust shop can cut off the factory curved tips and weld on whatever you'd like.

I replaced the pea shooter tips on mine with these 4 inch ones, took the exhaust shop a couple hours of welding though. Total cost about $300 with the tips.
20200816_102017.jpg

I wonder how long it will take for those nice shiny tips to become covered in exhaust soot? ;) That was the reason for the down-turned OEM pipes.

Peter

Mine always look like that, but I have serious detailing OCD issues. It's actually not bad I've had cars (my Hellcat) that were black in one drive, these are actually pretty good I took a road trip last weekend a few hours away and came home and thought they would be soot covered and they still looked great, but I have them coated as well.

Without the hassle of replacing body parts, has anyone just put aftermarket tips on their 2020 XLT, and did the downturned exhaust pipes present any issues, or require certain kinds of tips? I don't want to make this into too much of a project, but was thinking some aftermarket tips might look nice.

Back