adding factory tow to a 2020 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adding factory tow to a 2020 xlt

I have a 2020 xlt without factory tow. I was told by the salesman, no problem we will can add that. Well it was a problem because it's built into the bumper. Then recently it got rear ended, not a lot of damage but bumper had to be replaced. So, I asked the Ford dealer body shop guy how much extra it would cost to add the bumper with the towing connections and the hitch. He said they could do it for just the cost of the hitch with no additional labor charge. All seemed good but I tried it out a couple of days ago and the lights don't work. I am going to go talk to them on tuesday but the problem seems to be that there are no fuses for anything having to do with trailer lights and when I tried adding them, the spots are there for the fuses but no electrical connectors for the fuses. I'm thinking that they will say the only way is to change the whole fuse box. Any thoughts besides how stupid I was to believe the original salesman?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you’ll find that wiring isn’t run either. You can use an accessory wiring harness like this one, or a similar aftermarket product from curt or etc.

I have a 2020 xlt without factory tow. I was told by the salesman, no problem we will can add that. Well it was a problem because it's built into the bumper. Then recently it got rear ended, not a lot of damage but bumper had to be replaced. So, I asked the Ford dealer body shop guy how much extra it would cost to add the bumper with the towing connections and the hitch. He said they could do it for just the cost of the hitch with no additional labor charge. All seemed good but I tried it out a couple of days ago and the lights don't work. I am going to go talk to them on tuesday but the problem seems to be that there are no fuses for anything having to do with trailer lights and when I tried adding them, the spots are there for the fuses but no electrical connectors for the fuses. I'm thinking that they will say the only way is to change the whole fuse box. Any thoughts besides how stupid I was to believe the original salesman?
what specifically did they do, just bumper? did ya tell em to add the whole tow pkg? im guessing not since there was no additional labor charge. usually a tow pkg will include a bigger trans cooler and sometimes different gear ratio (depends) wiring kits are available to run, as most likely they didnt do any of that. the bunper with tow connection isnt the issue its everything else invokved in it such as wiring and coolers etc

They replaced the bumper and added the hitch and 4 pin and 7 pin. They said it was just like factory but obviously it's not. I won't be hauling anything other than maybe a utility trailer with lawn tractor or gator so I don't think I really need the other stuff. I also have an f150 with max tow so I may not even ever tow anything, just wanted the option to pull the small trailer if I needed to.

They replaced the bumper and added the hitch and 4 pin and 7 pin. They said it was just like factory but obviously it's not. I won't be hauling anything other than maybe a utility trailer with lawn tractor or gator so I don't think I really need the other stuff. I also have an f150 with max tow so I may not even ever tow anything, just wanted the option to pull the small trailer if I needed to.
did tjey say they added the supporting wiring for the tow equip? 4 abd 7 pin are wired differently iirc i always forget how thee areanged

did tjey say they added the supporting wiring for the tow equip? 4 abd 7 pin are wired differently iirc i always forget how thee areanged
They didn't specifically say that but they said it was the same as factory. I'm going to take it back maybe Tuesday and see what they say.

They didn't specifically say that but they said it was the same as factory. I'm going to take it back maybe Tuesday and see what they say.
cool alright, sorry got no other ideas. happy 4th of july weekend!!!! :)

Back