Adding helper air bags in rear? 2004 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding helper air bags in rear? 2004 Explorer

Skip01

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
OK fellas....looking too see if anyone has done this.

Im looking too do a big audio setup in my 04 Explorer....maybe 1500-2000lbs+.

So im looking for some helper air bags for the weight.....i see some for a 02 Expedition...but nothing for my year with just rear helper bags..not full air system

http://www.airbagit.com/Air-suspension-kit-FBSS-p/fbx-r-for-62.htm

Any one have any suggestions for added weight? Maybe people that tow with theres?

Doesnt have too be air bags...was just showing that cuz i know the work...anything thatll work will be fine

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it seems the cheapest option would be to just buy stronger/stiffer springs,
for the air option could you instead use the strut bag type since 3rd gens use struts
they look like
struts3.jpg

it seems the cheapest option would be to just buy stronger/stiffer springs,
for the air option could you instead use the strut bag type since 3rd gens use struts
they look like
struts3.jpg
Where are these from? Make, model #, price, ect?
thanks

That was just a stand in pic. Heres something similar for the front end of a mustang. Since they are only ifs and solid rear you would have to buy two front kits and see if they work. I don't think anyone has done this before but its cool and I wish I had the money.

Mustang Front Airride Kit

You may be able to find stiffer rate springs for the back if the air strut idea doesn't pan out. That would be the best way to go though.

2002 expedition and the explorer sport trac have a solid rear axle.

Back