Adding lights to High Beam Circuit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding lights to High Beam Circuit

Dlee6204

Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Sport
I own a 92 Sport w/o factory fog lights and I want to wire my aux/off road lights so that they come on with the high beams but are off with low beams. I've read some articles on here but I am still unsure exactly of how to do it. Where should I connect the power wire from the lights? Any insight would help. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest splicing into the high beams wire anywhere on the harness (you could even do this under the hood) and run a wire that woudl turn on/off a relay. This will not affect the performance of your high beams and you can easily run a wire from your battery to your auxiliary lights. You can also throw an additional switch on this same line in the cab so you can run high beams or high beams+offroad lights.

Do you know which wire is the high beam wire? And pardon my ignorance, but what would be the point of the relay after splicing into the high beam wire?

high beam wire can't handle the current from the lights so you need a relay to take the brunt of the abuse.

A small amount of power from the high beam circuit activates the relay. Which in turn uses big metal contacts to connect the off road lights to a wire from the battery.

I believe the high beam wire is the purple one on the light bulb socket. But I'm only about 50% sure on that.

There is lots of good info in the performance lighting forum. Check out the Hella 500 thread for info and pics on wiring AUX lights in a 1st gen.

The low power trigger wire for the high beam circuit is below. Use the diagram below to wire up everything.
18205102_0221_WEB-med.jpg

You would wire the lights as pictured below.
18205Hella_Wiring_WEB1.jpg

Back