Adding "missing" optional modules

Rob_I

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU 3.7 NA
Has anyone tried adding any of these "missing" optional modules to their PIU? Granted some may not be compatible or practical at all and some are less tantalizing, while others seem fun. For instance I know PIUs may or may not be fittied with a GSM (Generic Function Module) which gives programmability to the steering wheel buttons. Mine doesn't because IDS says it can't see it. Maybe the police took it out to add an aftermarket unit? I haven't laid eyes on the place behind the glove box though. Just an example.

Not sure why my SCCM (Steering Column Control Module) isn't reposnding. Interesting. Thought that was kinda needed for things to work.

Anyway, if I were to pop in the missing bits, learn the module in IDS, think it would work? Anyone tried?

20201015_151926.jpg

20201015_151938.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have no idea if this applies, but my car came with SYNC 1.0 and the 4.2" screen (the default for the PIUs), but apparently when I loaded up Forscan, it tells me I have a GPS module (GPSM), and there is the option to enable Navigation with some Forscan options. Maybe this is just for the Compass setting I enabled? Do you think it would do me any good with the head unit I have to play around with it? The screen is so small that I do not know if playing around with the Navigation/GPS Module would help me at all.

From what I've read and seen first hand, Forscan shows a lot more options than actually avaliable, like everything that theoretically can be on your car. For instance the option that let's you see which AWD wheel is getting power. I get nothing when I enable it (a '13 thing) but it works on some later PIUs. For whatever that's worth.

Also hex editing has the high potential to mess things up royally, hence all the warnings. Check box editing in forscan, slightly less so. Always make a backup. Before I got IDS, I used the latest beta Forscan to update the modules with the latest configs from Ford. One latest config (I think the instrument panel module) broke all sorts of module communications and I had to step back to an earlier config. Got me nervous I bricked something but I didn't. Just an example. IDS only allowed the latest known good working config so you can't force a 'bad' config to a module like you can with forscan.

Also hex editing has the high potential to mess things up royally, hence all the warnings. Check box editing in forscan, slightly less so. Always make a backup. Before I got IDS, I used the latest beta Forscan to update the modules with the latest configs from Ford. One latest config (I think the instrument panel module) broke all sorts of module communications and I had to step back to an earlier config. Got me nervous I bricked something but I didn't. Just an example. IDS only allowed the latest known good working config so you can't force a 'bad' config to a module like you can with forscan.

I messed around so much that my fuel economy went berserk. I was trying to get remote locks to work but that failed. I think I tried tpms too. Had to back track to get the fuel economy right. End up just getting a viper remote.

Things that worked for me, I shut off dark mode and turned on traction control and iirc something for roll stability. Although I’m not so sure that roll stability thing actually works or not. Traction control does work. Just no way to turn it off without forscan which sucks if you want to have some fun in the snow 🤷🏻‍♂️

I messed around so much that my fuel economy went berserk. I was trying to get remote locks to work but that failed. I think I tried tpms too. Had to back track to get the fuel economy right. End up just getting a viper remote.

Things that worked for me, I shut off dark mode and turned on traction control and iirc something for roll stability. Although I’m not so sure that roll stability thing actually works or not. Traction control does work. Just no way to turn it off without forscan which sucks if you want to have some fun in the snow 🤷🏻‍♂️
I also messed up my DTE fuel economy when I tried to adjust the settings and a full tank showed 100mi. I backtracked and redid my settings in Forscan. But as my gas mileage was ~21mpg on the trip computer by then, with a full tank of gas my DTE now shows between 390 and 400 mi until empty. Did you ever figure out which exact setting caused the DTE calculation to change so I can reset it and it should show closer to 350 to be correct?

...........................................Traction control does work. Just no way to turn it off without forscan which sucks if you want to have some fun in the snow 🤷🏻‍♂️
In the retail Explorer, Traction Control can be turned OFF using the Information Display.

Peter

I also messed up my DTE fuel economy when I tried to adjust the settings and a full tank showed 100mi. I backtracked and redid my settings in Forscan. But as my gas mileage was ~21mpg on the trip computer by then, with a full tank of gas my DTE now shows between 390 and 400 mi until empty. Did you ever figure out which exact setting caused the DTE calculation to change so I can reset it and it should show closer to 350 to be correct?
That’s exactly what happened to me.
iirc I switched off 3 things I had turned on which was TPMS, remote start and remote door locks. They’re might have been another one but I can’t remember. I must be getting old 👴🏼

I see you have a 2013, me too, so I'm curious if my settings are different than yours

I was messing around and noticed if I changed anything with the AWD system, it would flash "Service AdvanceTrac" so I'm curious what your settings are compared to mine. Would you be able to take a picture of the applicable Forscan settings page(s) so I can compare? I also have a 2013.

You all do realize the 13-15 IPC as built layout for the PIU is different than the 13-15 Explorer IPC. If software for direct functions (ie on/off or enabled/disabled) is basing the changes off the Explorer and not PIU, there is the possibility it is making misguided (ie wrong) changes and having unintended consequences.

Even something as simple as 2 stage unlock setting are in two completely different places in the as built between the two.

Also I know for some IPC's rewriting firmware to them "resets" the DTE so if your DTE is way off you could try that at your own risk.

You all do realize the 13-15 IPC as built layout for the PIU is different than the 13-15 Explorer IPC. If software for direct functions (ie on/off or enabled/disabled) is basing the changes off the Explorer and not PIU, there is the possibility it is making misguided (ie wrong) changes and having unintended consequences.

Even something as simple as 2 stage unlock setting are in two completely different places in the as built between the two.

Also I know for some IPC's rewriting firmware to them "resets" the DTE so if your DTE is way off you could try that at your own risk.

This is true for Forscan; it gives all the options good or bad and may or may not be model specific. Not so much in IDS. It either accepts the change or it fails to update.

This is true for Forscan; it gives all the options good or bad and may or may not be model specific. Not so much in IDS. It either accepts the change or it fails to update.
99 percent of the people here are not using a legal, licensed IDS.

Have been since 2013.

I meant the others. I only did it because I wanted to make sure my firmware was ok and play with the silly PIU heat soak feature (kidding... I haven't tried it)

I see you have a 2013, me too, so I'm curious if my settings are different than yours

I was messing around and noticed if I changed anything with the AWD system, it would flash "Service AdvanceTrac" so I'm curious what your settings are compared to mine. Would you be able to take a picture of the applicable Forscan settings page(s) so I can compare? I also have a 2013.

I just tried to use Forscan and it asked for the extended license. Not against paying for it but it’ll probably be the next time I need it. Also thought about getting the iOS version. Anyone here get that and if so since it’s a Lite version what was different?

I have the Android and PC Extended license version. It's nice to have it on my phone for a quick plug in if needed.

Do you mean the coronavirus bake away feature I've seen in some articles that MY13 and up PIUs can be programmed with at the dealer?

Yes. The anti-rona easy bake oven feature. But read the fine print.

"Large departments with their own service centers can install the software solution using their own diagnostic service tools, while other fleets can work with their local dealers to install the software for 2013-19 Police Interceptor Utility vehicles.

For 2016-19 police vehicles, the heated software process can be activated by a smart sequence of commands that involves pressing cruise control buttons in a predefined order. For 2013-15 vehicles, this mode can be activated and carried out through an external tool that connects to the onboard diagnostics port."

This means poor towns with low budget PD's with old cars need to go to the dealership. Rich towns with high budgets and new cars can do it at will. Translation: buy new PIU's.

So it's really a dealership service function for 13-15. You need to have the VCM2 and IDS computer plugged into the car and something stuffed in the window since you need to have it cracked to allow the wire in to the OBD2 port. Super technical when Ford says to stuff something in the open window huh?

Push a few buttons and the car turns to roast mode. Could be useful in the winter to melt the snow. Hmm...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. The anti-rona easy bake oven feature. But read the fine print.

"Large departments with their own service centers can install the software solution using their own diagnostic service tools, while other fleets can work with their local dealers to install the software for 2013-19 Police Interceptor Utility vehicles.

For 2016-19 police vehicles, the heated software process can be activated by a smart sequence of commands that involves pressing cruise control buttons in a predefined order. For 2013-15 vehicles, this mode can be activated and carried out through an external tool that connects to the onboard diagnostics port."

This means poor towns with low budget PD's with old cars need to go to the dealership. Rich towns with high budgets and new cars can do it at will. Translation: buy new PIU's.

So it's really a dealership service function for 13-15. You need to have the VCM2 and IDS computer plugged into the car and something stuffed in the window since you need to have it cracked to allow the wire in to the OBD2 port. Super technical when Ford says to stuff something in the open window huh?

Push a few buttons and the car turns to roast mode. Could be useful in the winter to melt the snow. Hmm...
Please let me know what you find out, I'm interested!

Back