• Register Today It's free!

Adding nerf bars to a 93 sport

r0ckrat

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Mazda Navajo
I just picked up a pair of nerf bars that bolt directly to the frame with 12 bolts, 6 each side. The bars didn't come with the bolts (Craigslist specials), so I am hoping someone knows what size bolts I should go get...

Just picked these up last night, and the CL ad just got pulled, so I don't have pictures at the moment...

Will be bolting these up this weekend hopefully.

So far:
1993 Mazda Navajo with 203k miles, new tires, new brakes, newish shocks: $700
Smog Test: $55
Licensing: $160
Junk yard plain jane drivers Seat from a Ford Explorer Sport: $60
Seat covers/wheel cover/belt pads: $50
Tranny fluid flush & general inspection: $180 (I think it was original fluid... Yuck!)
Manual, Plugs & wires: $65
Junk yard AC compressor from another Ford with 90-day warranty: $70
Nerf Bars: $40

To Do:
Compression check of AC system
New belt to activate the AC (Belt currently good, but doesn't go 'round the AC)
Install nerf bars
Rooftop tent
Go Camping!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the nerf bars for the Navajo/Explorer bolted onto the body rather than the frame, since the body has threaded holes for the factory nerf bars.

You should look for a brand name or stamp on the bars or post pics or links to pics and maybe someone can let you know what brand they might be.

You might even be able to contact the manufacturer and have them send you out a replacement hardware kit, either for free or the price of postage, depending whether they are still in business and if they keep that kind of stuff around.

I'll post pics tonight when I get home.

They may not fit without modification if they were not designed for 1st gens.

I don't think you need any special bolts. Maybe 3/8 or 1/2" bolts got to look to see what size will fit through the brackets. I put on aftermarket running boards on mine years ago I don't remember the size bolts. I'd have to go look to see where its mounted. I had gotten a extra free pair of running boards when i order mine through a catalog. They accidentally sent me a pair from both of there warehouses.

So these are SmittyBilt nerf bars, and it looks like I need to drill the frame to mount them. The rear mount uses the forward leaf spring bolt(?), and there are no holes in the frame where the front of the bar should mount.

20141116_214321.jpg

20141116_214312.jpg

Am I right that I would have to drill the four holes through the frame and run bolts long enough to go through both sides of the frame member?

Maybe different brands used different mounting points. Your positive that its made for the Explorer. My feeling is if your having to drill holes these bars are not made for your truck. I think they should be completely bolt on. I could be wrong... I looked at mine they mount to the body mounts and body no drilling new holes.

Is there a part number stamped on it anywhere. You can type that part number into Smittybilt website will show if that is for an Explorer.

I just got some just like that for my ranger.different brand. I thought they had maybe a square flange that bolted to the frame and it had a tube to fit over or in the ends.I was thinking about something to mount mine to the frame I have a body lift so plenty of room.Let me know if you find out anything.

Back