Adding new speakers, quick question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding new speakers, quick question

Fordy55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Lets say I was to add another set of speakers, such as compenant speakers (I think thats what they're called, the same ones in the doors). I am going to be adding another pair, not replacing them. Can I just tap the wires for the new speakers into the wires going into the door speakers? Or would this not work as it would take away power from the door speaker I am tapping into? How would I wire a new set of speakers? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you want 2 more speakers, in addition to the 4 speakers already in the doors? If you tap into the existing wiring, then yea you're cutting into the power, decreasing what the current speakers get.. I read your other thread where you said you're just using the stock deck for the speakers, so if you wanted additional ones, you would most likely want another amp thrown into the mix.. Depending on what you got for new speakers, you could use the new amp to power your 4 door speakers, and the stock deck power for the 2 new speakers, with the L and R channels bridged maybe - or vice versa, depending on all the specs.

Adding speakers might be an issue due to lower ohm loads.

So you want 2 more speakers, in addition to the 4 speakers already in the doors? If you tap into the existing wiring, then yea you're cutting into the power, decreasing what the current speakers get.. I read your other thread where you said you're just using the stock deck for the speakers, so if you wanted additional ones, you would most likely want another amp thrown into the mix.. Depending on what you got for new speakers, you could use the new amp to power your 4 door speakers, and the stock deck power for the 2 new speakers, with the L and R channels bridged maybe - or vice versa, depending on all the specs.

Thanks a lot, yeah my other thread is all kind of irrelevant. I'm out of work and school now so I'm just trying to learn all I can about cars to plan for my future since all my career goals/dreams are shot. I enlisted in the US Air Force but due to surgery I need to find another dream because I cant ship out anymore.. its a bummer but the people on this forum taught me a lot so I'm trying to learn while I'm laying in bed recovering from surgery.

Can I just tap the wires for the new speakers into the wires going into the door speakers? Or would this not work as it would take away power from the door speaker I am tapping into?

When you tap speakers like this. You have to consider two things power loss, and resistance (ohm) changes. When you put two speakers with the same resistance on the same speaker line, they will share the power provided from the head unit / amplifier equally.
If different Ohm speakers are used, then you end with the varying speakers receiving different power loads and can very easily damage them.

Adding speakers might be an issue due to lower ohm loads.

This is correct.
When adding additional speakers to a vehicle, the Ohm ratings need to be recognized. If you have two 4 Ohm speakers wired parallel into the same channel on the head unit, it will procude a two ohm load. Now, most factory and aftermarket head units can not successfully produce the power required for a two ohm load for a long duration of time without damaging the internal amplifier.

Final Statement
It is possible to do what you are asking, but there are a few unique tricks that generally need to be done in order to make it work properly.

If you can, an external amplifier is not only the easiest method, but the most efficient too, as an external amplifier can provide much more power than pretty much any head unit (Most head unit only have enough power to provide around 15 watts RMS for each channel).

If you can not justify/afford/comondere/aquire an external amplifier, I suggest you read up on the impediance variance when wiring multiple voice coils into the same channel of a head unit. Once you get this knowledge down, you can pretty much wire up any number of speakers to anything you want. And, then you would have knowledge to calcualte the power per speaker ratio (A great place to start would be here!)

So what about Twitters.... Im really trying to find a thread on that but you seem to know what your talking about.... any help?

Back