Adding OEM Glove Box Light

prm99v6

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021, Explorer ST
Glove Box Light: LB5Z-14A411-D

My 2020 had a light in the glove box, my 2021 does not. My 2021 had the harness for the light to plug into so it was a 10-15 minute process to add one. Pop the glove box assembly out and look for the harness (gray plug) towards drivers side before ordering light.

Press the tabs on the side of the glove box to get the box droop.

Gently pull out on the light actuator (arm on the right)

Remove five T-25 torx bolts

Gently pull out on the entire box assembly. There are a couple of clips on the top.

Pop out the dummy panel

Install the light. Push it through the hole and pop it in from the inside.

Route the wire towards the drivers side utilizing the metal clips on the built in mounting tabs on the back of the glove box surround.

Pop out the dummy harness plug (gray) and plug in the new light harness. Continue routing the wire toward the passenger side.

The small black harness is for the light actuator switch. Plug that into the two pin connector.

Reinstall glove box and test. Super easy.

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

IMG_5612.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the write up and pictures. I Installed the glove box light and console light this evening. Easy pezzy quick and easy!

If anyone wants to do this to their PIU, looks like we'll need both the feeder harness (the one with the gray plug) and the open/shut sensor harness. Mine has neither despite having the admin interior. Oh well...

My 2020 had a light in the glove box, my 2021 does not. My 2021 had the harness for the light to plug into so it was a 10-15 minute process to add one. Pop the glove box assembly out and look for the harness (gray plug) towards drivers side before ordering light.

Gently pull out on the entire box assembly. There are a couple of clips on the top.

Pop out the dummy panel

Route the wire towards the drivers side utilizing the metal clips on the built in mounting tabs on the back of the glove box surround.

Pop out the dummy harness plug (gray) and plug in the new light harness. Continue routing the wire toward the passenger side.

The small black harness is for the light actuator switch. Plug that into the two pin connector.

View attachment 330702

View attachment 330703

View attachment 330704

View attachment 330705

View attachment 330706

View attachment 330707
Is the actual light included with the harness?

If anyone wants to do this to their PIU, looks like we'll need both the feeder harness (the one with the gray plug) and the open/shut sensor harness. Mine has neither despite having the admin interior. Oh well...

Any luck with the part number of the feeder hardness?

Ay chance you have the part number to the gray hardness that is supposed to provide power to the glovebox light?

Pop out the dummy panel

View attachment 330702

View attachment 330703

View attachment 330704

View attachment 330705

View attachment 330706

View attachment 330707
Suooo

Hey Peter, I have that part. I was referring to the harness that connects to that one. It's missing from my 2021 Explorer Limited.
Are you sure the harness isn't there? It seems that a few members in this thread were able to install the light in their 2021 Explorers apparently without any issues.

Peter

Are you sure the harness isn't there? It seems that a few members in this thread were able to install the light in their 2021 Explorers apparently without any issues.

Peter
20220114_175530.jpg

I know very strange. No harness. Mind you i have a 2021 Explorer Limited.

Pop out the dummy panel

View attachment 330702

View attachment 330703

View attachment 330704

View attachment 330705

View attachment 330706

View attachment 330707
My 2021 Explorer Platinum also has the missing glovebox light. It does not have the wiring harness behind the glovebox. I contacted my dealership and Ford Customer Service and got the same feedback. Ford dropped the glovebox light...see their Ford Changes document. I filed a customer feedback and got a case number. Can't believe, for an overall amazing and beautiful car, Ford left a hole where the glovebox light goes. Ford really dropped the ball on this one.

2021 Ford Explorer Changes.JPG

I don't know how many people or how often they use the glove box but it's a handy place to carry a small flashlight. I carry one in the console. I open my twice a year and that is to remove the oil change car the dealer gives out. Depending upon how many changes you have received you can get one at half price and even a free one.
I wonder if the 2022 Timberline and King Ranch are also without a light?

Peter

My 2021 Explorer Platinum also has the missing glovebox light. It does not have the wiring harness behind the glovebox. I contacted my dealership and Ford Customer Service and got the same feedback. Ford dropped the glovebox light...see their Ford Changes document. I filed a customer feedback and got a case number. Can't believe, for an overall amazing and beautiful car, Ford left a hole where the glovebox light goes. Ford really dropped the ball on this one.

View attachment 425595
I may do the same as you did.

Back