adding overhead console/power mirrors and autodimming mirror | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adding overhead console/power mirrors and autodimming mirror

alaskan155

Reaction score
City, State
washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
4dr 94,97,01 eb,xlt,xls
if any one is curious ,

i got a 01 xls for the wife, which is a little base model compared to my 97 xlt with leather... just has pw/pl/cruise

anyhow,

if you remove the bolts to the fuse box, and the 3 metal clips around it, and the dash surround around the cluster and the 2 bolts holding the power window wiring block to the back of the dash(2 5.5mm, above e-brake)

you can push them out of the way to get to the plug in the back d/s corner of the dash where the 2 dome light wires go to on the d/s pillar by reaching your hand threw the fuse box panel hole.(really tight)

unplug the old 2 wire harness and plug in the new harness with the Overhead console, mirrors, and auto-dimming review mirror from your donor(i got one from a 98 in the pick n pull just yanked on it and it popped out of the corner of the dash). then i spiced the 2 wires from the old plug into the new harness so the center dome light would work(just match the wire colors)

everything worked minus the auto-lamps feature but i think that may be missing a relay somewhere,

just some geewhiz if anyone was curious. i thought i was going to have to hardwire the OHC into it like i did my 94, but it was all plug and play. just a PITA to get to the plug.

adding the full length console tomorrow, but im deleting the rear hvac on it.

if any one is curious ,

i got a 01 xls for the wife, which is a little base model compared to my 97 xlt with leather... just has pw/pl/cruise

anyhow,

if you remove the bolts to the fuse box, and the 3 metal clips around it, and the dash surround around the cluster and the 2 bolts holding the power window wiring block to the back of the dash(2 5.5mm, above e-brake)

you can push them out of the way to get to the plug in the back d/s corner of the dash where the 2 dome light wires go to on the d/s pillar by reaching your hand threw the fuse box panel hole.(really tight)

unplug the old 2 wire harness and plug in the new harness with the Overhead console, mirrors, and auto-dimming review mirror from your donor(i got one from a 98 in the pick n pull just yanked on it and it popped out of the corner of the dash). then i spiced the 2 wires from the old plug into the new harness so the center dome light would work(just match the wire colors)

everything worked minus the auto-lamps feature but i think that may be missing a relay somewhere,

just some geewhiz if anyone was curious. i thought i was going to have to hardwire the OHC into it like i did my 94, but it was all plug and play. just a PITA to get to the plug.

adding the full length console tomorrow, but im deleting the rear hvac on it.

Thanks for this information. I pulled an over head console with all the wiring from pick a part a month ago. I've not been looking forward to installing it on my 99 sport as it is a plain Jane. I mean it has power windows and door locks but no door code module nor the wiring exists in the back. I was trying to program some fobs onto it but all I managed to do was make the auto door locks lock unlock lock everytime I start it.

Back