Adding Remote Start Access | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Remote Start Access

Well. Apparently this install is extremely easy to do. I was on the F 150 site and here's what I have learned.

You can purchase this system for much cheaper then Ford charges. It used to be sold as one package. However, Ford split it into two packages and then cranked up the price on both. The dealership wants $830 for the 2 packages needed plus install charge which will run another 200+. (NOT HAPPENING)

I am purchasing the remote starter from an ebay company in the states called allstarautomotive. You send them an email with your VIN and they tell you what you need for the install. The cost is 525 and it includes shipping. You can install it yourself in under 20 minutes. Then you call Zac and he sets up your app. (This only works if you have factory starter already installed on your X) Done.

Cost savings between 400 to 500 bucks. I'll let you guys know how things turn out. It may take a couple of weeks for it to arrive. Worth the wait!!!!

Heres the link to the F 150 forum

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/remote-access-install-239579/#post3176276

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While waiting for by 2014 Ex Sport to arrive i told my dealer i would like to have the Remote Access kit ordered and ready to install when it arrives. I am being told from my dealer's parts department that their is a stop on shipment of the Remote Access kits due to a software problem.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks,
db

Nope. Not sure what the software problem would be. Mine has worked perfectly since I had it installed.

So my 2014 Ex Sport arrived at the dealer on monday and they have spent 2 days trying to figure how to install the Remote Access feature. Doubt they have worked non stop, nevertheless, I am disinclined to leave my vehicle with them any longer. I am looking for a dealer that has installed a Remote Access kit on a 2014 Sport in Southwest Michigan.

If anyone has had one installed in this region please let me know.

Thanks,
db

So my 2014 Ex Sport arrived at the dealer on monday and they have spent 2 days trying to figure how to install the Remote Access feature. Doubt they have worked non stop, nevertheless, I am disinclined to leave my vehicle with them any longer. I am looking for a dealer that has installed a Remote Access kit on a 2014 Sport in Southwest Michigan.

If anyone has had one installed in this region please let me know.

Thanks,
db

Did you read the STICKY above with the Remote Access Kit PDF showing how easy it is to install?

Did you read the STICKY above with the Remote Access Kit PDF showing how easy it is to install?

Sorry, i am new to the forum, don't know what a "sticky" is. Some guidance would be appreciated.

db

2014 Explorer Sport with bi-directional long range remote start

I searched the forum and found a number of threads that get into remote starter systems. However, I could not find anything directly related to my question below.

I am taking delivery of a 2014 Explorer Sport next week. The vehicle has the 401a accessory package which includes remote start.

My current vehicle is a 2011 Explorer Limited. My 2011 has the factory installed remote starter system. From my experience the factory remote starter system leaves a lot to be desired. The range it works in is very, very shortand there is no confirmation the vehicle ever started. A bad combination when you can't see or hear the vehicle. I am guessing the remote start system on the 2014's is pretty much the same system.

With that in mind I asked my dealer about installing one of the Ford brand bi-directional long range remote starter kits in my new ride. He told me Ford makes them for many of their vehicles but there is not a bi-directional remote starter kit available for the 2014 Explorer Sport.

Is that true or does my dealer not know what he is talking about? If there is one available I would appreciate it if you could provide a part number.

Thanks for the help!

Remote Access Question

Hi. I've looked through the other threads and didn't see this answered. I going to be taking delivery of a 2014 Sport with the 401a package in a couple of weeks. I want to add the remote access to the vehicle. I saw on the Ford accessory page that the Vehicle security kit is required (19A361).

Does anyone know if it's REALLY needed? I saw the install directions that appear to say that you leave the jumper on. Just want to have all my info now before I start talking to the dealer about it

Thanks in advance

You need both pieces

Welcome to the Forum Griff76.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this one on the same topic. No need to begin a new one. As you see, blwnsmoke has already replied. He's one fast dude.:)

Peter

Remote Access (Phone App Feature)

Hi all,

Just ordered a 2015 Explorer Sport Magnetic Grey with 401a package. Should be at the dealership soon, built and pending rail transport.

Has anyone recently purchased latest dealer installed Remote Access Smart Phone solution and what has been your experience? I understand there is a yearly/monthly access fee.

http://accessories.ford.com/aerial-asy-10667.html

Many thanks,
DRJ

Welcome to the Forum DrJones55.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

Hi all,

Just ordered a 2015 Explorer Sport Magnetic Grey with 401a package. Should be at the dealership soon, built and pending rail transport.

Has anyone recently purchased latest dealer installed Remote Access Smart Phone solution and what has been your experience? I understand there is a yearly/monthly access fee.

http://accessories.ford.com/aerial-asy-10667.html

Many thanks,
DRJ

The cheapest I've seen around is about $480 for both pieces that you need and it is $49.95 a year. I don't have it on my Explorer but I have it on my 2015 F350. I bought the kit and installed it in less then 5 minutes. The Explorer kit is a little more involved because you have to take apart the center console where on my F350, I pulled down my glove box and everything was right there for me.

It is FANTASTIC!!! Knowing that it starts when you can't see it (ex: I was in the grocery store going up and down the isles, pulled out my phone and started the truck so it would be cool by the time I got out).

My dealer charged me $450 for the parts and $150 for install. I haven't had a problem yet in the two days I've had the vehicle ;)

Yes you can install on your own but if you have the dealer do it at time of purchase it will be covered under your vehicle warranty

I want an app that will prevent my car from being started when I'm 40 miles away.

I want an app that will prevent my car from being started when I'm 40 miles away.
Eh?

You have to start your car yourself via the app. So, unless you use the app, it won't start.

Should the vehicle unintentionally be started remotely, it has a timeout that will shut it off after a user selected time period (IIRC, 5, 10, or 15 minutes)

If I can't enable security alerts on the app on my phone I assume that means they just left the jumper installed on the unit that the install says is optional to remove?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eh?

You have to start your car yourself via the app. So, unless you use the app, it won't start.

Should the vehicle unintentionally be started remotely, it has a timeout that will shut it off after a user selected time period (IIRC, 5, 10, or 15 minutes)

He's talking about some kind of engine kill if you aren't in perimeter of the car. Sounds like a good idea until you're stranded without cell service and can't start your car.

Back