Adding Remote Start Access | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Remote Start Access

Eh?

You have to start your car yourself via the app. So, unless you use the app, it won't start.

Should the vehicle unintentionally be started remotely, it has a timeout that will shut it off after a user selected time period (IIRC, 5, 10, or 15 minutes)

It was a joke based on having had an Explorer stolen from me once.

Luckily, the guy that stole it was using it to sell drugs on Hilton Head Island. All I had to do when I got it back was turn down the bass and turn up the dashlights... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealer charged me $450 for the parts and $150 for install. I haven't had a problem yet in the two days I've had the vehicle ;)

Yes you can install on your own but if you have the dealer do it at time of purchase it will be covered under your vehicle warranty

it is only covered under your vehicle warranty if it is purchased and installed on the day you buy the vehicle. Otherwise it is 2 years, unlimited mileage regardless on whether the dealer installed.

Just an update/information. The person the Ford dealer I bought my car and remote access from DID NOT install Vehicle Security Kit 19A361 into my 2014 Sport. He said that it's already built into the car (but no shock sensor now). And the remote access works fine.

OK so for all you guys that have installed this here is my question. I have a 2015 XLT on order. You can not order remote start as an option from the factory with this trim package. So you have to have it activated by the dealer. To install the modules and use the phone app you have to have the dealer activate remote start. For those who had the dealer install it did you have it activated as part of the module install or did you also have to buy what they call the 100 remote package to get it activated. In my area that will make the whole phone app package nearly $1,000

Remote start using cellphone apps.??

Is it included in the 2015 models or optional? And how much would it be?

UsainBolt, as per my PM, I have merged your thread with this one.

Peter

OK so for all you guys that have installed this here is my question. I have a 2015 XLT on order. You can not order remote start as an option from the factory with this trim package. So you have to have it activated by the dealer. To install the modules and use the phone app you have to have the dealer activate remote start. For those who had the dealer install it did you have it activated as part of the module install or did you also have to buy what they call the 100 remote package to get it activated. In my area that will make the whole phone app package nearly $1,000

You probably got your answer already but to add factory remote start the vehicle must have a hood pin. If its not there, a plug should be in it's place. See if there is a harness that goes to it. If there is, great, just get a hood pin $15-$30. Then the dealer or someone with IDS just has to enable remote start...a 15 min process. Every Explorer has it, just has to be enabled. Once enabled the phone app package could be added.

Hi all,

I'm interested in adding a remote starter to my 2011 XLT. Does anyone have any recommendations on which way to go, either OEM or aftermarket? I think I'd prefer to have it on my key instead of having a separate piece but the OEM ones seem to have a fairly short range. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Hi all,

I'm interested in adding a remote starter to my 2011 XLT. Does anyone have any recommendations on which way to go, either OEM or aftermarket? I think I'd prefer to have it on my key instead of having a separate piece but the OEM ones seem to have a fairly short range. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

The main question you need to ask yourself is what distance is the majority of the "need" to remote start going to be? The OEM equipped system which just needs to be activated as a listed range of 300 ft. (my guess direct line of site). You can get OEM extended range (believe its 1000 ft) but that comes with a separate FOB or you can go the smart phone route and do it from anywhere (limitations on cell coverage apply). All of these are plug and play.

Any aftermarket will need to be hardwired into the vehicle.

Advice needed

I just bought a used 2014 Explorer Limited. It already has remote start, so I have to think that the entire DL3Z-19G364-A kit isn't required. The dealer quoted me $600 for remote access and installation, but it would seem to me that maybe only the RMU is required, as I would think that the RMST is the same one I already have installed.

Can someone confirm if the entire kit is needed, or if there is some add-on kit for those that already have remote start. Or if someone can point me to some Ford tech forum where I can ask the same question of an installer.

Thank you.
Doc

Welcome to the Forum doctauri.:wavey:
I see you mentioned that you have a Limited. My suggestion would be to add that model (Limited) to your profile so that it always appears in the margin and the members can use that info when replying to future posts.
Have you checked out the following link? Not sure if it has an info that may be helpful.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380004&highlight=remote+access

Good luck.

Peter

2015 Explorer - Remote Start

We bought our 2015 Explorer in July and are very please. Had the dealership install a remote start and it came with two additional 1 button fobs. Both are one way.

We want to go with the Smart Phone app to start the vehicle and I have been told by another dealership (not returning to the original one as it is quite a distance) that we need parts DL3Z-l9A390-C and DL3Z-19A361-A for the app to work. I don't know what was originally installed by we we received manuals for the Remote Start System and Vehicle Security System. Is there a way to tell what has already been installed?

These two parts an labour come to just over $800? Is there a way for me to save a few bucks?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Shayne

You already have the VSS which the RMU plugs into. So you just need the RMU...DL3Z-19A390-B....which might be at the C revision now.

We bought our 2015 Explorer in July and are very please. Had the dealership install a remote start and it came with two additional 1 button fobs. Both are one way.

We want to go with the Smart Phone app to start the vehicle and I have been told by another dealership (not returning to the original one as it is quite a distance) that we need parts DL3Z-l9A390-C and DL3Z-19A361-A for the app to work. I don't know what was originally installed by we we received manuals for the Remote Start System and Vehicle Security System. Is there a way to tell what has already been installed?

These two parts an labour come to just over $800? Is there a way for me to save a few bucks?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Shayne
Hi Shayne. Do you still have the '02 Explorer? If not you should update your profile with the 2015 and add the 'trim' level (Base, XLT etc) which could be helpful in addressing some future concerns. If you still have the '02 the creating a signature with the new one would be an option.

Peter

Remote Access stopped working today from my iPhone. I keep getting error code:

The communication to the server failed. Please try again later.
(00020002)

I know 100% my iPhone is connected to the internet (I can get email surf web etc.). I have tried wifi and cellular and I keep getting the same failure.

From my laptop, I can login and communicate with my vehicle through https://my.fordremoteaccess.com/home. It seems to be isolated to my iPhone.

I have also rebooted my iPhone and reinstalled the app. Same problem.

Anyone have any ideas or seen this before?

Thanks!

Remote Access stopped working today from my iPhone. I keep getting error code:

The communication to the server failed. Please try again later.
(00020002)

I know 100% my iPhone is connected to the internet (I can get email surf web etc.). I have tried wifi and cellular and I keep getting the same failure.

From my laptop, I can login and communicate with my vehicle through https://my.fordremoteaccess.com/home. It seems to be isolated to my iPhone.

I have also rebooted my iPhone and reinstalled the app. Same problem.

Anyone have any ideas or seen this before?

Thanks!

I contacted 1-800-FORDKEY and they pointed me over to support@spindance.com yesterday.

I got a call from a program manager today explaining that they have found a caching issue on the server which was causing the connection timeout and they will be upgrading the server today/tomorrow.

Anyways, just wanted to provide an update if anyone was following..

Thanks for the update.:thumbsup:

Peter

You probably got your answer already but to add factory remote start the vehicle must have a hood pin. If its not there, a plug should be in it's place. See if there is a harness that goes to it. If there is, great, just get a hood pin $15-$30. Then the dealer or someone with IDS just has to enable remote start...a 15 min process. Every Explorer has it, just has to be enabled. Once enabled the phone app package could be added.

I have this, thus if I am to understand this correctly, all I need is DL3Z19A390B???

TIA

Well. Apparently this install is extremely easy to do. I was on the F 150 site and here's what I have learned.

You can purchase this system for much cheaper then Ford charges. It used to be sold as one package. However, Ford split it into two packages and then cranked up the price on both. The dealership wants $830 for the 2 packages needed plus install charge which will run another 200+. (NOT HAPPENING)

I am purchasing the remote starter from an ebay company in the states called allstarautomotive. You send them an email with your VIN and they tell you what you need for the install. The cost is 525 and it includes shipping. You can install it yourself in under 20 minutes. Then you call Zac and he sets up your app. (This only works if you have factory starter already installed on your X) Done.

Cost savings between 400 to 500 bucks. I'll let you guys know how things turn out. It may take a couple of weeks for it to arrive. Worth the wait!!!!

Heres the link to the F 150 forum

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/remote-access-install-239579/#post3176276

what were your part numbers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On Ebay there is one seller that still sells the "old" version that goes through the TPMS.http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-STOCK-FACTORY-FORD-SMARTPHONE-REMOTE-START-STARTER-KIT-Iphone-android/311574093159?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35625%26meid%3D7d7b6a571dcf402ea344fc9082da9e90%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D351671912420

I bought this, granted it took a bit longer than 20 min (maybe 30-40). I then went to my dealer with the instructions and the parts guy set me up in minutes for free. He told me very few people go for this, and since it was his first one, he got to learn. Win-Win for both of us.
I spent $250, if I'd waited I could have gotten it for $200.00. They seem to have several unit still available.

Back