Adding Remote Start Access | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Remote Start Access

I received my RMU/VSS Kit on Friday and installed it yesterday in about 30 minutes.. most difficult part was the contortion of underdash work. Train the VSS with the switch ( as long as you have remote start on the fob now). Called the dealer today and had it activated. Created my own password for the app.. AWESOME Ford!!!... I could think of other cool things but.. hey.. its very cool.
I am looking at doing this. I found where I can order the parts for $355 through Levittown Ford Parts and according to them, you don't need a dealer visit to do this. I called Both my Ford dealers in town and I got the run around and told $799 installed. I mentioned that from what I have read it is a simple install, maybe 20 minutes and he stated they had to "program" it. I'm just making sure if I order this, I won't need to have the dealer do anything. Its unfortunate these Ford dealerships don't care if they screw you over or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am looking at doing this. I found where I can order the parts for $355 through Levittown Ford Parts and according to them, you don't need a dealer visit to do this. I called Both my Ford dealers in town and I got the run around and told $799 installed. I mentioned that from what I have read it is a simple install, maybe 20 minutes and he stated they had to "program" it. I'm just making sure if I order this, I won't need to have the dealer do anything. Its unfortunate these Ford dealerships don't care if they screw you over or not.

If you order it from Benny at Levittown you call him after the install and he activates it for you.

You only need a dealership to use their IDS tool if the vehicle didn't come from the factory with remote start active.

Or you could use the Forscan software with a small hardware purchase to take the place of the dealer activation

Your's is a 16 Sport and the Sport has Remote Start standard you should be good.

Yep I got mine from Kevin Faris at Fairway Ford and he did same.. Good People.
I wish it had the ability to have a camera(s) enabled inside and out so you could see what was going on with your car or to send you a pic if triggered.

...... Its unfortunate these Ford dealerships don't care if they screw you over or not.
I think in the majority of cases it's more often the case that the techs aren't that familiar with the procedure. Also as Sgt1411 posted, in some cases programming may be required.

Peter

I have a 2017 Sport and I ordered the two components needed from TascaParts.com. I installed everything in 20 minutes. It was nice and easy. Problem is my local dealer can't get me in until March 14 for a "service window". I don't think they have ever had to deal with one of these systems before and they do not realize how quick it is to get it entered into the system. Anyone know of a dealer that will activate it for me over the phone (for a fee of course)? I was hoping to have the system up and running for a trip up to Maine next week.

Why not call Tasca? They may do it pro bono since you purchased from them.

They will do it, but they are the ones that have me scheduled out to March 14 and want to charge me $65. I am a bit perturbed that they want to charge me for this AND schedule me out 12 days. It is not the money, it is the principle. Therefore if I can pay any other dealer to do it I would gladly pay them to do it and save me 12 days. I am not very happy with their customer service in regards to this. We all know it is literally a 5 minute deal. Having to wait 12 days for something this simple is hard to accept.

I have a 2017 Sport and I ordered the two components needed from TascaParts.com. I installed everything in 20 minutes. It was nice and easy. Problem is my local dealer can't get me in until March 14 for a "service window". I don't think they have ever had to deal with one of these systems before and they do not realize how quick it is to get it entered into the system. Anyone know of a dealer that will activate it for me over the phone (for a fee of course)? I was hoping to have the system up and running for a trip up to Maine next week.

That's why I bought from Benny at Levittown Ford Superstore, he does it for free when you buy through him.

That's why I bought from Benny at Levittown Ford Superstore, he does it for free when you buy through him.

Ok, this is seeming more and more like a financially doable plan. It no longer is going to cost an arm and a leg to to get the few parts needed, to gain a big technological increase.

Can you send me the part numbers I need to order to do this, and the phone number for your contact? I'll get my 13 Ex Sport in the garage and do this.

Ended up getting in contact with a company that does accessory installs for a bunch of dealers here locally. He did it over the phone for $65. I had called three other dealers this morning and all of them were clueless. Next time I need to order something it will only be with dealers recommended here on this board.

I forgot to ask the guy how to set up text messaging if the alarm gets tripped though. Anyone else know if you can do that on your own or does that have to be dealer enabled as well?

Yes you need both, there is a difference in the harnesses for the VSS depending on year of the vehicle, I couldn't use my 2014 VSS on my 2017 because of the new OBDII Gateway module that started in 2016.

Yes you need both, there is a difference in the harnesses for the VSS depending on year of the vehicle, I couldn't use my 2014 VSS on my 2017 because of the new OBDII Gateway module that started in 2016.

Well, that just jumps the price up again. Guess I will wait and see if the prices drop any before I install this. Would be nice to have though.

So I am picking up my 17 Sport this week. I inquired about the Remote Access with my dealer and they're trying to quote me "Around $895" and I of course laughed....any suggestion as to how to proceed. FYI I cannot do this install myself...thanks!!!

So I am picking up my 17 Sport this week. I inquired about the Remote Access with my dealer and they're trying to quote me "Around $895" and I of course laughed....any suggestion as to how to proceed. FYI I cannot do this install myself...thanks!!!

Go to the Levittown site and you will see the entire kit is now on sale for a lower price. Do the install yourself it's not that hard. Or take the parts to your dealership, they cant take more than an hour shop time.

http://www.levittownfordparts.com/f...rt-system-cellular-access-special-p-5717.html

Awesome....great price...thank you!!!

Has anyone here installed this themselves? If so, how difficult was it? Thinking of pulling the trigger on this now that it is in a reasonable price range, and if Levittown Ford activates it for nothing, then it might be worth it. Going to ask my local dealer today if they will match the price, and what they want to install it.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to know that if I have factory remote start would I need to get the remote start module(vss) and the remote access module or just the remote access module. I've been trying to find this out but have had no luck

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need all the hardware including VSS, you just won't need the hood pin.

Back