Adding Remote Start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Remote Start

Post number 2 has been selected as best answered.

Maybe I missed it, but seems to be that with FordPass, the remote start feature is already part of the package?.......................................

see post #12

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the dealer would provide that lol.

I have heard of the VSS module coming with install, but that is just physical install, and the rest is IDS aka ford tool.

Were you able to install yourself?

Not yet. I was about to order some modules however, with summer, it was not a requirement yet. I'll probably wait until this summer/fall.

Maybe I missed it, but seems to be that with FordPass, the remote start feature is already part of the package?

I know it was an add-on for earlier models (have the module installed in my '14), but was thinking it would be a bonus to have it already in place when I acquire a '20 ST. Not that it was hard to install at all, but considering the price jump on these, it would be nice if Ford included all this. Since the Remote Access program is being phased out, it would only make sense for the new technology to include it.

Yes, ford pass still work, which is great! However that still requires a phone and car in cell coverage. And it seems pretty slow/clunky still.

Not sure if the new Security Module comes with instructions. Does anyone know where the module plugs into? I "think" it goes under the drivers wheel under the dash....
I have the module kit [included Owner's Manual is NO help] and looking for the full INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS for the VSS on my 2020 Explorer ST. The closest thing I have found is for a 2011~2015 F-150. It does show some diagrams and on the truck it plugs into behind the OBDii plug by the driver's left knee.

Wes I sent you a pm.

I have the module kit [included Owner's Manual is NO help] and looking for the full INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS for the VSS on my 2020 Explorer ST. The closest thing I have found is for a 2011~2015 F-150. It does show some diagrams and on the truck it plugs into behind the OBDii plug by the driver's left knee.

Wes did you ever get this installed?

I don't know why he didn't respond to your original PM. He was last active he on June 13th. Perhaps he is no longer following.

Peter

I don't know why he didn't respond to your original PM. He was last active he on June 13th. Perhaps he is no longer following.

Peter

I sent him the pdf and was hoping someone finally posted a success story. I just haven't had time to plan out the install/parts with all the house and family stuff going on.

Wes any update?

Just get it and install it and be done with it. The VSS alone will allow you to remote start the vehicle with the lock/unlock/lock process. If you want longer range then get the extra parts. There is zero programming that has to be done. Your vehicle already has remote start enabled because it has Fordpass (SYNC) Connect.

Just get it and install it and be done with it. The VSS alone will allow you to remote start the vehicle with the lock/unlock/lock process. If you want longer range then get the extra parts. There is zero programming that has to be done. Your vehicle already has remote start enabled because it has Fordpass (SYNC) Connect.
Serious!???! I was really holding off because I didn't know what to program. If that is the case I'll start getting on it.

Serious!???! I was really holding off because I didn't know what to program. If that is the case I'll start getting on it.
I sent you the installation instructions a long time ago. There is no programming needed for the 2020 Explorer. The instructions covers programming for vehicles that need it, the Explorer isn't listed.

I sent you the installation instructions a long time ago. There is no programming needed for the 2020 Explorer. The instructions covers programming for vehicles that need it, the Explorer isn't listed.

I guess I just assumed it had to be programmed. Ok, ordering the 3 parts
Perimeter security module
long range Antenna
remote w/ confirmation

I guess I just assumed it had to be programmed. Ok, ordering the 3 parts
Perimeter security module
long range Antenna
remote w/ confirmation
Get the parts and install them yet?

Get the parts and install them yet?
Parts are still “processing” at auto nation white bear. So hopefully soon! I have to install the trailer brake on my truck too. Hope we have a sunny day soon!

So, I'm a little dense, forgive me:

Which part is the VSS?

You're saying with that one part alone installed, and no programming, I can use my current remote that has no remote start button, and press Lock, Unlock, and Lock to remote start?

So, I'm a little dense, forgive me:

Which part is the VSS?

You're saying with that one part alone installed, and no programming, I can use my current remote that has no remote start button, and press Lock, Unlock, and Lock to remote start?
Vss should be the added vehicle security perimeter module.

woot woot parts shipped today :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My parts came in the other day. However it is sub zero temps and the Ex is outside. VSS installs behind the driver side kick panel near/behind the odb2. I'll run the antenna up and above the rear view mirror. I'll post an install and howto/setup once done but I may have to wait a week or so for the temps to get warmer.

Back