Adding Running Boards Need Input

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
I was in the salvage yard today picking up a few things for my 94 XLT. I came across a 94 Eddie Bauer with a set of running boards. I am sure I could get them for a song but am not sure what would be involved in installing on my vehicle. Does anybody have any experience or advise? I would really love to have them I so hope someone can give me some input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they're the factory running boards that look like they're part of the body, I'd suggest you skip it. Those had such a design that they caused quick and excessive rust to the rocker panels.

They are factory and the vehicle their on is in excellent shape, other than being hit on the front. Here in GA I'm not too worried about rocker rust, it's rarely seen unless the car came from up north. I can get these for $20 each. Anybody else familiar with installing these?

You would have to have the same pegholes in your rockers, or drill out your own holes, theres like 20-30 holes on each side that hold it in as well as a couple screws at the ends.

I don't find much purpose for them so I would skip it really. When I bought my Eddie Bauer it had those and when I took them off it was just nothing but rust so I ended up having to cut it all out and roll what was left.

My point was more along the lines of that the running boards will be fine but installing them on your vehicle may prematurely rot out your rocker panels. Many people like DeliciousKeki above remove theirs to find pure rust underneath. Maybe painting yours or filling the holes with foam or something might prevent that.

My '94 already has the threaded holes on the backside of the rockers, for running boards.

Back