• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Adding Side Mirror Turn Signals

ntoda00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Interceptor Utility
I currently have the DB5Z-17682-DB side mirrors. According to Ford's description it's "Base Limited XLT Sport ; Dual Power/Heated Mirrors Mic, Less Side Marker Lamps, (+) North American Markets; RH, Black". I wanted to add the Side Marker Lamps (Turn Signals) into it. I assume that you could either tap off the existing wiring harness (if it's there) or run a new cable tap off the actual turn signal lines to power up. What I need to know is how do I go about adding the Side Marker Lamps (Turn Signals)? Anyone have any disassembly instructions for the side mirror?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MarkM

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4WD

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I would tend to agree with you Mark. I doubt that the signal light portion can be added to the mirror. It looks like it is integrated into the mirror's design. Trying to add it looks like it would require cutting into the body of the mirror.
I believe the mirror on the Base model is the only one that doesn't have the built in signal lamps. Going by the OP's post, I guess the PI model doesn't either although I have seen pictures of some PI with the integrated signals.

Peter

MarkM

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4WD
You're correct, Peter. The PIs do not have integrated mirror signals. I've done some installs on them, so that I'm sure of. When looking at one that has them, they look like their manufactured with them. I'm not sure exactly how they're mounted, so I can't speak with certainty, but I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't work easily, if at all.

But hey, anything is possible with enough time and money... My suggestion would be finding one that is totaled that has them and buy them from there.

hlbly

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Police Utility
Callsign
WI4BQQ
I am attempting adding turn signal mirrors to my 2017 PIU. The mirrors are physically interchangeable with the non-signal, non-heated mirrors currently on the vehicle. I know that, on some Ford products, these features can be enabled by re-programming the driver's door module; however, reading my configuration with Forscan, no driver's door module appears to be present. Can anyone advise if these functions (heated mirrors, turn signals, puddle lamps) require programming, or additional wiring?

Hallandry

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, Explorer, PIU
Mirror heat will work without doing anything. I've installed heated mirrors and they work. I cant get the puddle or turn signals to work though.

hlbly

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Police Utility
Callsign
WI4BQQ
Thank you. I'll take up the signal/puddle issue on Forscan's forum.

Bobs2018Explorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Livermore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT FWD 3.5
Callsign
KD6ANY
Has anybody been successful in trying to upgrade their heat-only outside mirrors to the OEM unit that also includes the exterior turn signals, on a 5th-generation XLT?

I'd love to be able to do that (even if it involves FORScan programming)... but I have my doubts that it could be possible on my own 2018 XLT.

I lack this confidence because a while back, I had been hoping to upgrade my front door scuff plates to the ones that have the lighted "Explorer" name in them... only to find that my car was totally lacking in having the small harness and connector for that option in the kickpanels. I therefore worry that the connectors plugged-in to my heated power mirrors are also lacking in the proper wiring to allow a simple plug-in for the better-featured OEM mirror.

While I have searched the forums for this subject, any info available seemed to cover only Generation 3 and lower. Has anybody been able to do this upgrade, on the more basic Gen-5 XLT? Again, I'm only looking to upgrade to the OEM mirror that also has the exterior turn signals, that help indicate to oncoming drivers that my turn signals are in use.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
^^ thread has been merged with this one.