Adding Smart Remotes To A 2013 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Smart Remotes To A 2013 Limited

Mikepaul

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I have a 2013 Explorer Limited that came with 2 smart remotes. The manual states you need two remotes to program a third one. If one remote gets lost then I have to drive to the nearest Ford dealer to have a replacement remote programmed. That would be 1.5 hour drive since I live in northern Sask. Canada. I phoned the dealer to find out what a third remote would cost and the price is $220.

I did a bit of research on my remote and the number M3N5WY8609 came up. This number works on 2011-13 Explorers, 2013 Taurus, 2011-12 Edge, and 2011-12 Lincoln MKX.

I bought a pair of used 5 button 2011 Lincoln MKX M3N5WY8609 remotes on eBay for $90. When I received them I replaced the batteries and programmed them to my Explorer. They work perfectly. The emergency blades need to be replaced and a pair will cost $20. The total cost for a pair of remotes is $110.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited that came with 2 smart remotes. The manual states you need two remotes to program a third one. If one remote gets lost then I have to drive to the nearest Ford dealer to have a replacement remote programmed. That would be 1.5 hour drive since I live in northern Sask. Canada. I phoned the dealer to find out what a third remote would cost and the price is $220.

I did a bit of research on my remote and the number M3N5WY8609 came up. This number works on 2011-13 Explorers, 2013 Taurus, 2011-12 Edge, and 2011-12 Lincoln MKX.

I bought a pair of used 5 button 2011 Lincoln MKX M3N5WY8609 remotes on eBay for $90. When I received them I replaced the batteries and programmed them to my Explorer. They work perfectly. The emergency blades need to be replaced and a pair will cost $20. The total cost for a pair of remotes is $110.
Thanks for posting that info Mikepaul.:thumbsup:
Although I don't need an extra fob, I'm sure that this information may be of use to those that do.

Peter

Thanks. That is very useful information. Most of the used fobs on eBay state that they need to be programmed by a dealer or locksmith. I hadn't researched the issue enough to find out whether that was true if you had the two originals. I knew that you could program a new fob in those circumstances but thought that there might be something different about a used one.

The truth is I took a chance on used remotes and it worked. The manual states the programming process is for a new unprogrammed intelligent access key.

For key #3 the following happened.

Step 5 of the process says "The Indicator on the START/Stop button should begin to flash rapidly."

That didn't happen but I continued to step 6.

Step 6 says "A message will appear in the information display indicating that the new intelligent access key was programmed."

That didn't happen either and I continued on to step 7 and 8, resulting in a working remote.

For remote #4 step 5 was the same, no flashing START/Stop button.

But for step 6 the information display stated "Maximum Amount Of Remotes Programmed."

Speaking of key FOB's, does the 2013 Explorer use the same Key FOB design as the 2011? I ask because we just got our 2013 Fusion and the Key FOB design is terrible compared to my 2011 Explorer Key FOB. It's now much fatter, more slick (no rubber buttons), harder to extract the backup key, and awkard to handle in the palm. It's like trying to hold onto an ice cube. I'd love to ditch them for the older style FOB.

Back