• Register Today It's free!

Adding stock Running boards

Frdtuff

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
10 F150 Fx4, 96 Explorer
I have done a search but am still needing help/advice. My son and I bought some stock running boards from the local wrecking yard. We pulled them off another explorer ourselves. His XLT doesn't currently have running boards... Just the skirts, or whatever you call them. Anyhow, the running boards attach to the car with clips and 12 bolts that bolt on the back side under the car. I assumed the holes would already be there for the bolts but I am not seeing anything. Has anyone added stock running boards to their explorer? Am I missing something???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll probably have to drill new holes.

If I was to EVER put running boards on an Explorer again, I'd make it so they attach right to the frame. The way all the running boards come attached in their stock fashion is literally the worst way to attach something, bolted to the thin metal bodywork on the side of the truck? What were they thinking?

I do agree with you. However,, these explorers sit fairly low so I'm not sure they will actually be used. Installing more so for the look.

I crawled under the car again and after getting another good look, I found that the holes are already there. They are plugged with rubber grommets so it should be a simple install. I ordered the retaining clips from Oreilly's today... It takes 16 metal u clips, plus I don't know how many plastic clips. Hoping to be able to reuse some of them and another trip to the auto store for the rest. I think it will look good though. Next project is to take out the drivers 60/40 bench seat and put in a full length center console and a new drivers seat :-)

It has a 60/40 front bench seat? I've never seen that in an Explorer.

You'll probably have to drill new holes.

If I was to EVER put running boards on an Explorer again, I'd make it so they attach right to the frame. The way all the running boards come attached in their stock fashion is literally the worst way to attach something, bolted to the thin metal bodywork on the side of the truck? What were they thinking?

How they attach is the key, the force works with the thin material, which actually makes them very strong. the clips are purely to maintain a proper gap to the body itself. The bolts holding it to the body would literally have to rip though almost 2 inches of steel to come off, the biggest flaw might be the brackets rusting out and bending or breaking. Which is the problem with mine, the bolts are still solid to the body.

It has a 60/40 front bench seat? I've never seen that in an Explorer.

Well... I call it a 60/40. Not sure really. The driver seat is wider than the passenger. The armrest between both seats folds up allowing another person to sit in the middle....

Back