Adding Sync to base explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Sync to base explorer

To add those features you would be looking at replacing modules and wire harnesses. The Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) is what controls the Sync system, and those are very expensive, and that's just 1 part. I cannot comment on the hardware prices because I have never priced them, but I know we tell customers it cannot be done. I know if you have the upgraded sound system something as simple as "upgrading" the amp can cause serious issues with the CAN setup. Is much as I hate to say it, It is no feasibly possible. As far as the pricing issue from the factory, its not that cut and dry just because its a $295 upgrade. The fact is they do not install the non sync parts on a sync vehicle and visa versa, which means they only have 1 cost, not 2. where as you already paid for one system and want the other. Hope that makes sense. Plus, its going to get marked up from each hand it passes ie manufacturer to ford, ford to the dealer, and dealer to you. So just ponder on that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To add those features you would be looking at replacing modules and wire harnesses. The Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) is what controls the Sync system, and those are very expensive, and that's just 1 part. I cannot comment on the hardware prices because I have never priced them, but I know we tell customers it cannot be done. I know if you have the upgraded sound system something as simple as "upgrading" the amp can cause serious issues with the CAN setup. Is much as I hate to say it, It is no feasibly possible. As far as the pricing issue from the factory, its not that cut and dry just because its a $295 upgrade. The fact is they do not install the non sync parts on a sync vehicle and visa versa, which means they only have 1 cost, not 2. where as you already paid for one system and want the other. Hope that makes sense. Plus, its going to get marked up from each hand it passes ie manufacturer to ford, ford to the dealer, and dealer to you. So just ponder on that.

Might be true, might not. I have no idea where you got your information from or whether it is from a valid source. One thing I do know is that after purchasing I looked into a couple other Explorers and found one with the exact same radio as I have that had Sync. That tells me that my radio is Sync adaptable. Like many other radios I have seen from the factory, there are plugs in the back for the different add ons.
My thoughts are that I have an empty female receptacle in the back of my radio for the Sync Module or the APIM module as you call it that when plugged in will interface with the radio seamlessly without any programming. That module will also have a plug in for the microphone that would have to be separately wired.
One other thing hints to me that this is fact is that my radio has a "Phone Button" same as the Explorer radio that has the sync feature. It would only make common sense to design the radios in this manner which to me corresponds with the low cost of adding the module.
My mind won't be changed on this so it's really silly to argue the point unless someone can come up with the schematics to prove me wrong. The Sync module isn't even available from the Service or parts department as an add on, so how people come up with prices is beyond me.
Granted my thoughts are only "valid opinions", but it also seems like so is everyone else's because no proof has been shown to me contrary to my statements except words. I am stubborn this way and it has been faithful to me in finding truths. I am hard to convince and have accomplished things in the auto industry that people told me couldn't be done with this attitude. One reason why I hold on to it... Frustrates some people, but that is their problem, not mine. Not a blind follower here...

Might be true, might not. I have no idea where you got your information from or whether it is from a valid source. One thing I do know is that after purchasing I looked into a couple other Explorers and found one with the exact same radio as I have that had Sync. That tells me that my radio is Sync adaptable. Like many other radios I have seen from the factory, there are plugs in the back for the different add ons.
My thoughts are that I have an empty female receptacle in the back of my radio for the Sync Module or the APIM module as you call it that when plugged in will interface with the radio seamlessly without any programming. That module will also have a plug in for the microphone that would have to be separately wired.
One other thing hints to me that this is fact is that my radio has a "Phone Button" same as the Explorer radio that has the sync feature. It would only make common sense to design the radios in this manner which to me corresponds with the low cost of adding the module.
My mind won't be changed on this so it's really silly to argue the point unless someone can come up with the schematics to prove me wrong. The Sync module isn't even available from the Service or parts department as an add on, so how people come up with prices is beyond me.
Granted my thoughts are only "valid opinions", but it also seems like so is everyone else's because no proof has been shown to me contrary to my statements except words. I am stubborn this way and it has been faithful to me in finding truths. I am hard to convince and have accomplished things in the auto industry that people told me couldn't be done with this attitude. One reason why I hold on to it... Frustrates some people, but that is their problem, not mine. Not a blind follower here...

Is OASIS, Fordparts.com and IDS authority enough? I too have accomplished things that dealers and Ford said are not possible with the newer vehicles. I do my research. I don't talk out my butt.

Is OASIS, Fordparts.com and IDS authority enough? I too have accomplished things that dealers and Ford said are not possible with the newer vehicles. I do my research. I don't talk out my butt.
It's no use trying to help this member Jason. It seems that unless he has seen it or done it for himself, everything is just rumour or speculation. Must have grown up in Missouri. ;)

Peter

When to Fordparts.com, entered acim, no results, entered Sync Module,, no results. JMR, you doubt me, I doubt you.. understandable since we don't know each other. No need to feel insulted. I am sure you see my logic if nothing else.
Update: Found the Module 14D212, looks like it's the only component in Sync, so it is available for mid $500 mark. No details on installation procedures can be accessed from what I have seen.

And Peterk9.. is that a bad thing?? was that an attempt to insult me? Kind of juvenile.., and no, born and raised in Chicago. It means when I pass on information, it has been personally tested, or proven beyond a doubt not hearsay. To bad more people don't try that. I'll just consider your comment as coming from the Peanut Gallery...

When to Fordparts.com, entered acim, no results, entered Sync Module,, no results. JMR, you doubt me, I doubt you.. understandable since we don't know each other. No need to feel insulted. I am sure you see my logic if nothing else.
Update: Found the Module 14D212, looks like it's the only component in Sync, so it is available for mid $500 mark. No details on installation procedures can be accessed from what I have seen.

And Peterk9.. is that a bad thing?? was that an attempt to insult me? Kind of juvenile.., and no, born and raised in Chicago. It means when I pass on information, it has been personally tested, or proven beyond a doubt not hearsay. To bad more people don't try that. I'll just consider your comment as coming from the Peanut Gallery...
No intent to insult at all. Just saying that based on the attempts by members to provide information to help you, every such attempt has met with scepticism or rejection.

Peter

No intent to insult at all. Just saying that based on the attempts by members to provide information to help you, every such attempt has met with scepticism or rejection.

Peter

That's because all of the attempts have been nothing more than words. Show me a schematic, show me procedures put out by Ford. They did it before but discontinued it because of cost in prior years. Show me photos of the radio disproving my assumptions. None of the posts were meant to help. No real information has been provided. They were meant to say it can't be done, it costs too much.. etc.
When I am looking at two identical radios, one has Sync and one doesn't, it tells me it's an add on. I deal in logics.. call me a Vulcan if you may, but logics tell me I am conceivably right.
Like a lot of other forums I have been on there is a lot of conjecture and information passed out on hearsay and yes, even information passed out by Ford employees and service departments can be hearsay.
I can see this forum is not for me. Been here a week and already got people attacking my character. Sorry, I am not a drone or a sheep and don't take information blindly from only words.
I am gone so you don't have to deal with me any more.

Your determination is inspiring.

I work for a Ford Dealer. I know the APIM is not available through Ford, we outsource to a company I will not name. The APIM is only one part needed and I was thinking at was around $700. I can assure you it will not be plug and play. Even just the APIM would need to be programmed, using an expensive computer. I honestly doubt you will find a dealer who would install it for you, especially with the attitude it seems you have, no offense intended. I will do some more research, but I'm telling you, it is not easily doable and would be $$$$$

As far as both radios having the phone button, its the same principle behind having braille on a drive through ATM. Mass production is cost effective.

You come here asking questions and for help but yet when someone answers you blow it off and say I'm right, your wrong. I have an open mind but you continue to disbelieve anything anyone tells you. So why should I give you proof I am right. You spend the money to access the on line schematics, programming software, etc.

You need an APIM, new dash wiring harness. microphone and associated harness, USB panel with line in and associated harness, new steering wheel controls, etc. Then you have to program the vehicle to make it aware it has the new stuff....guess what Ford doesn't tell you how to do that. You have to figure it out and use their software that has a $700 a year license along with the diagnostic tool that runs $1300.

You come here asking questions and for help but yet when someone answers you blow it off and say I'm right, your wrong. I have an open mind but you continue to disbelieve anything anyone tells you. So why should I give you proof I am right. You spend the money to access the on line schematics, programming software, etc.

You need an APIM, new dash wiring harness. microphone and associated harness, USB panel with line in and associated harness, new steering wheel controls, etc. Then you have to program the vehicle to make it aware it has the new stuff....guess what Ford doesn't tell you how to do that. You have to figure it out and use their software that has a $700 a year license along with the diagnostic tool that runs $1300.

You beat me to the punch! Just got done talking to my master tech to confirm what it would need. I would hate to see the price for the dash harness.

You beat me to the punch! Just got done talking to my master tech to confirm what it would need. I would hate to see the price for the dash harness.

BTW I forget the GPSM (GPS Module) as well. I probably forgot some other smaller parts. That was all from memory base upon my past research of looking into this.

Also there are 38 different dash wiring harnesses for the 2015 Explorer depending on what options the vehicle is equipped with. So much for the same harness in every vehicle.

Back