Adding third row to Explorer Police Interceptor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding third row to Explorer Police Interceptor

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I've been wanting to buy an Explorer Sport and noticed that PIU's are largely the same (same suspension, 300+ hp engines) but generally go for significantly cheaper on the used market. A buddy of mine on the NYPD also tells me they're a good choice for a used service vehicle because they're usually issued to supervisors and get easy lives.

A big part of why I'd get an Explorer over a good AWD sedan is the ability to carry more passengers when necessary (like to take friends hiking/camping). The PIU omits the third row of seating... anyone know how hard/expensive it would be to add it back in or would I be better off spending the extra $6-10K to just get a civilian Explorer Sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is it about the Sport package that you like? The PIU doesn't have many bells and whistles, so it's interesting that you specifically mention the Sport versus the base model.

Also, I don't think it's true that they have the same suspension.

What is it about the Sport package that you like? The PIU doesn't have many bells and whistles, so it's interesting that you specifically mention the Sport versus the base model.

Also, I don't think it's true that they have the same suspension.

I like that the Sport has the 3.5L EcoBoost at 365hp. The PIU comes in either 3.7L at 304hp or with the 365 EB, either of which would satisfy me.

There seems to be disagreement on whether the PIU and Sport have the same suspension, or same hardware with different programming, or different hardware. Either way, seems there is agreement that both are slightly lower and handle sharper, which is what I'm looking for.

I guess I basically need to do the opposite of this? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...3rd-row-delete-police-package-install.419317/

Any thoughts?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I guess the Platinum with the same engine is out of the question. That being said, I don't know if you can convert a manufactured PIU to accept a 3rd row seat assuming you can even find a seat. To my knowledge this has not been done by anyone here but good luck. Perhaps Sgt1411 may have some insight into this.

Peter

I guess the Platinum with the same engine is out of the question. That being said, I don't know if you can convert a manufactured PIU to accept a 3rd row seat assuming you can even find a seat. To my knowledge this has not been done by anyone here but good luck. Perhaps Sgt1411 may have some insight into this. I think you'd be better off getting the Sport.

Peter
Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

I've started poking around on eBay and have seen some seats, so that might not be an issue. Installing them may be.

Sports are way more expensive than PIU's. Aside from the third row the only other benefit I can see for my taste is the leather seats. I also like sunroofs, but that won't be a big factor in any particular one I find.

If you want to find third row seats, I recommend going to either ebay or your local salvage yard. Are you looking to have third row cloth or vinyl? If cloth, XLT or Base will do. Be careful that the pattern matches, too. If vinyl, the closest will be from the Explorer Limited. In addition, I would get a second row from a normal explorer due to the fact that it has headrests, which will make it safer and more comfortable for your rear passengers. Good luck!

Doesn't the PIU have some frame bracing where the 3rd row would go?

Doesn't the PIU have some frame bracing where the 3rd row would go?
Yes it does. The brace is required to maintain the vehicles rear crash rating when the 3rd row seats are removed.

Peter

crossbrace.jpg

I hate to bring up a 7 month old thread. But did you ever find a way to add 3rd row seating to a piu Explorer? I’m in the exact situation as you and would need a 3rd row. Hoping a police version can accept the seating. Thanks in advance. I’ve searched hours for this info.

I hate to bring up a 7 month old thread. But did you ever find a way to add 3rd row seating to a piu Explorer? I’m in the exact situation as you and would need a 3rd row. Hoping a police version can accept the seating. Thanks in advance. I’ve searched hours for this info.
And thank you for adding to this thread. The originator of this thread has not been on here since April 16th. You may want to try contacting the member directly via PM (Start a Conversation) to ask your question and see if he is still active here. He did post a similar message in another thread on April 10th but there was no response to it. Good luck.

Peter

Yes you can I'm currently in the process of switching full leather interior into my piu the third row seats have a straight bar that they pivot on .And 2 flip brackets that cover the seat area when flipped down. . The bars and brackets bolt directly to the existing holes where the factory x brace is. You cannot use the existing spare tire it is too big.. The seats will not flip back to allow cargo area.. if switching over items you will need. 3rd row seats and rotating bar . 2 flip brackets for the covers and 2 latch brackets which hold the seats down in the forward position. A factory exolprer spare tire. And spare tire cover. Small carpet lining that goes around the spare tire. Also look to see if your second row seats flip forward mine did not they were bolted to the floor. I made sure I took the latch brackets for the second row seats I was using.

Amazing information thank you very much. I can proceed to purchase my piu. Thank you again. I will be moving everything over to a civilian style. Including center console. :)

I have successfully added the oem LXT 2nd and 3rd row seating into a PIU. This was done without any permanent modifications. Once the 75+ PIU crash brace is removed you will need the following:

parts list:

3rd row seats
3rd row seat belts and bolts
4 bolts to mount the 3rd row seat
lx trunk carpet
lx small spare tire
lx small tire hold down
lx lower trunk lift gate trim
2x 3rd row seat spring latches
2x 3rd row seat hold downs
middle cover finish panel and 2x bolts
4x 2nd row seat hold downs and bolts

I have a 2015 PIU explorer and most of my interior lights don't work. Does anyone know how to get the front dome light, 3rd row seat lights, and cargo space top 2 lights working?
Do any interior lights work? Perhaps the 'Dark Car' feature has been activated?

Peter

Do any interior lights work? Perhaps the 'Dark Car' feature has been activated?

Peter

Yes the lights by rear view mirror are the only ones that work
What’s the dark car feature and how can I disable it

If those lights work then I don't think the Dark Car feature. That feature prevents the interior lights from coming on when the doors are opened. It is not activated by any settings you can access. I believe you required either IDS or FORScan to edit the vehicle's software.

Peter

I have successfully added the oem LXT 2nd and 3rd row seating into a PIU. This was done without any permanent modifications. Once the 75+ PIU crash brace is removed you will need the following:

parts list:

3rd row seats
3rd row seat belts and bolts
4 bolts to mount the 3rd row seat
lx trunk carpet
lx small spare tire
lx small tire hold down
lx lower trunk lift gate trim
2x 3rd row seat spring latches
2x 3rd row seat hold downs
middle cover finish panel and 2x bolts
4x 2nd row seat hold downs and bolts
can i ask you how much about did this cost you for parts and installation? i’m thinking about buying a police suv explorer but i only wanted one for the third row, i’m weighing my options on pricing !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can i ask you how much about did this cost you for parts and installation? i’m thinking about buying a police suv explorer but i only wanted one for the third row, i’m weighing my options on pricing !
and did you install yourself?

Back