• Register Today It's free!

Adding tow mode to 2014 PIU

bt1987

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford PIU
I've followed all of the threads on the base Explorer forums about adding the tow mode button for engine braking and so forth, and it is super straightforward: pop the panel off, unplug the tow button harness from the dummy plug, plug into the tow button, have tow mode.

Well, my 2014 PIU doesn't have that harness or plug.

How do I add the dash harness to enable the button? Where does it plug in? Does the PIU accept tow mode or is that not even programmed in? None of the parts I've bought are new, so I'm not out a whole lot of money yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know the answer but guessing if there is not existing an harness that the vehicle may not be programmed for it. Not sure if this is a feature that can be activated with Forscan or not since it appears to tie into other systems as well.

Peter

I will be towing pretty soon on my piu for a long haul
I will post everyone on the outcome

I will be towing pretty soon on my piu for a long haul
I will post everyone on the outcome
Any Exploding Parts, Fires, Melt Downs, PTU Damage? Lol

Now I have a full Interior Wiring Harness & Center Stack from a '12 Explorer Sport, which has the Tow/Haul mode & Liftgate wiring to the Center Stack & BCM Plugs, though it seems the Tow Button will not do much. Though I suppose it's not necessary. I will update once I make a discovery, would like to tow something with my PIU. Tow caps on Explorer are 2k, but 5k with weight distribution.

Any Exploding Parts, Fires, Melt Downs, PTU Damage? Lol

Now I have a full Interior Wiring Harness & Center Stack from a '12 Explorer Sport, which has the Tow/Haul mode & Liftgate wiring to the Center Stack & BCM Plugs, though it seems the Tow Button will not do much. Though I suppose it's not necessary. I will update once I make a discovery, would like to tow something with my PIU. Tow caps on Explorer are 2k, but 5k with weight distribution.
See my reply to your other post on this topic. Apparently, the transmission has different features for PIUs with the Tow/Haul package.

Peter

Yes I discovered that at least two Transaxles are available
The DA5Z-7000-ARM has the 3.65 Gear ratio.
The DA5Z-7000-DRM has the 3.16 Gear Ratio.
Both the 3.5L, 3.5L Turbo, 3.7L engines can be equipped with either Transmission. I believe the 3.16 has a higher Towing Capacity, perhaps someone can confirm. So since I cannot determine which the PIU has at the moment, Below are some Specs and Information. IMO If you tow, you may as well at least have a class III receiver and a 4pin connector. Anyone use a Tow Package kit like this one? Trailer Tow Hitch For 11-19 Ford Explorer Deluxe Package Wiring & 2" Ball & Lock | eBay

2015 PIU Owners manual, Pg177;
Utility
Powertrain Maximum trailer weight
3.5L GTDI all-wheel drive 2500 lb (1134 kg)
3.7L TiVCT front-wheel drive 2500 lb (1134 kg)
3.7L TiVCT all-wheel drive 2500 lb (1134 kg)

2015 Explorer Owners Manual, Pg275
Engine Maximum GCWR Maximum trailer weight
Front-wheel drive vehicles
2.0L GTDI 6880 lb (3120 kg) 2000 lb (907 kg)
1 3.5L TiVCT 6940 lb (3147 kg) 2000 lb (907 kg)
2 3.5L TiVCT 9980 lb (4526 kg) 5000 lb (2267 kg) 3
Four-wheel drive vehicles
1 3.5L TiVCT 7110 lb (3224 kg) 2000 lb (907 kg)
1 3.5L GTDI 7400 lb (3356 kg) 2000 lb (907 kg)
2 3.5L TiVCT 10160 lb (4608 kg) 5000 lb (2267 kg)
2 3.5L GTDI 10400 lb (4717 kg) 5000 lb (2267 kg)
1 Without trailer towing package.
2 With trailer towing package.
3 For towing trailers up to 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), use a
weight-carrying hitch and ball. For towing trailers over 3500 pounds
(1588 kilograms), up to the maximum trailer weight, we recommend you
use a weight-distributing hitch.

2015 Ford/Lincoln Tow Guide, excerpt for the Explorer as shown in photo;

ExplorerTow Cap2015.png

Just keep in mind that those 5000 weights are with the factory-installed tow package. Aftermarket packages are 2000. That chart is for the retail Explorer. The PIU is 2500 lb.

Peter

Just keep in mind that those 5000 weights are with the factory-installed tow package. Aftermarket packages are 2000. That chart is for the retail Explorer. The PIU is 2500 lb.

Peter
Yes the Chart is for Civi Explorers, I wonder what the difference is in the Tow Package that would make that Capacity Increase, Grade 8 Bolts/Washers? Thicker Rounded Bracing? American Steel vs Chinese Steel??

Yes the Chart is for Civi Explorers, I wonder what the difference is in the Tow Package that would make that Capacity Increase, Grade 8 Bolts/Washers? Thicker Rounded Bracing? American Steel vs Chinese Steel??
Not sure. Could be a beefier transmission.

Peter

Sorry I meant the difference between Aftermarket & Factory-Installed Tow Packages.

Sorry I meant the difference between Aftermarket & Factory-Installed Tow Packages.
As far as the retail vehicle is concerned, the factory-installed tow packages usually include items that are not found on vehicles without them. Engine oil cooler, connectors, frame-mounted hitch, different transmission bigger radiator, a tow/haul selector......
As for the physical hitch, I guess it depends on what you buy aftermarket and its rating. Keep in mind that no matter what the hitch is capable of towing, the vehicle's legal towing capacity cannot be changed once it leaves the factory.

Peter

Back