• Register Today It's free!

Additive for synthetic diff oil.

IAMCDN

Reaction score
City, State
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4 4 Dr **sold**
I want to change my diff fluids with synthetic. I have the 3.73 limited slip rear diff(94 XLT 4x4) and was told there is a special additive that needs to be put in with it. Is this true, can't just put in straight synthetic?

Live in Canada and figure synthetics in the diff's will improve cold weather performance/fuel economy.

If anyone has made the change, espescially in colder climates, was there a difference?

Thanks for the info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm about to do the same thing. Please help!!

Some synthetics will require the friction modifier additive to reduce the chatter of the limited slip. AMSOIL Series 2000 gear lubes do not require the friction modifier.

yeh

Yeah, the Amsoil and Redline synthetic fluids dont need the friction modifier for the limited slip diffs. If you use any other popular brands (Mobil, Castrol) you better use it unless you ind something that specifically says it already has friction modifiers in it.

Thanks fellas

Thanks for the replies, I will give it a try. Will also be drilling out my airbox in a couple weeks. I want to wait til my warranty is up so that the dealer can't void my warranty or anything stupid like that. (I bought it a month and a half ago and they gave me a 2 month warranty).

My understanding is that you have to disconnect the -battery cable after drilling out the box to reset the computer, so it can "re-learn" the idle, fuel/air mixture, etc. Is this correct? Sorry, I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I want to make sure.

Thanks again guys.

You do need to reset the computer.

Just disconnect the - cable for a few minutes. Reconnect it and start the engine with all accessories off. Let it sit there and idle for 5-10 minutes. (no revving the gas or anything) Then slowly drive off. Drive around very easily for a few miles and do some stop and go driving. Then give it to her rough for a few miles. That should give it the initial 'relearn'. It should adjust back to your driving in a day or so.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.

Just drilled out my airbox. The difference is impressive. Better throttle response, nice deep sound on hard acceleration...great upgrade, and it's free...can't beat that!

Still haven't done the synthetics in the diff's yet, will do it soon.

Back