Adhesive for plastic side molding | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Adhesive for plastic side molding

glo81

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hi all,

My beloved Explorer was side-swiped a few months ago and scraped up along the driver side. As part of the repair, the body shop had to replace the gray plastic molding. Yesterday when I was opening the rear door on the driver side, I felt resistance as the door wasn't opening all the way. When I looked down, I saw that the plastic molding on the door had come off a little and was getting caught in the driver door. I don't know when it happened, but the clip holding the outermost corner fell out (or maybe it was never there) and that's what caused the molding to start coming off. Anyhow, I can't put a replacement clip because the clip holder on the molding is partially broken, so a new clip wouldn't stay in place. I'm thinking of buying 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive at Pep Boys to get that corner part of the molding to stay in place. Is that a good idea, or is there a better solution to my problem? I attached a picture of where the molding came out. Thanks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/ghpc81/ExplorerMolding.jpg
(The picture is from the day it was side-swiped)

<