adjust headlights on a sport trac? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adjust headlights on a sport trac?

erikvanden

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford
I was wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the headlights on a first generation sport trac. I actually have a regular explorer sport but it has the same headlights. I just need to adjust them up since they are aimed really low. most have some sort of nut that adjusts it but I am not seeing it in this car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are these little "steel twigs" I call them. They stick up behind the headlight. Pop your hood. Open up the little cover behind the headlight and itll poke it's face right backatcha.i wish I can show a picture but I always forget how to post them on here.

it is a 5 or 6mm on the end of a long rod. its on the top outer edge behind the housing, and goes down to the lower mount.

830ad983.jpg

e9aae225.jpg

56e85242.jpg

f94546b3.jpg

i am guessing that these are the twigs. But there are no nuts on them. The long one that is vertical doesn't have anything on it. and the other 2 just have plastic caps on them.

the long one has no nut or anything on it. on either side

You're exactly right you have to adjust with an extremely small socket like a 5 or 6mm like 06 said.

Since you are messing with them anyway pop you some Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs in there!! They help quite a bit, though I still think our headlamps suck!!

it was a 4mm. at it was so corroded that it just snapped off.

a457ce32.jpg

doesn't look like ill be getting them adjusted anything soon. I guess this was one truck that wasn't built for tough

solution. crank the torsion bars, and lower the rear end. Headlights=Up. :D

^like hahaha

Ohhhhh Baja claws..... I already like it

Good luck with the fix man. That's a bummer they were frozen.

i threw some shims onto my pop's suburban last week; any scrap metal or wood you have will work; and that's even cheaper than the torsion twist and lazier too!

it was a 4mm. at it was so corroded that it just snapped off.

a457ce32.jpg

doesn't look like ill be getting them adjusted anything soon. I guess this was one truck that wasn't built for tough
I was wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the headlights on a first generation sport trac. I actually have a regular explorer sport but it has the same headlights. I just need to adjust them up since they are aimed really low. most have some sort of nut that adjusts it but I am not seeing it in this car.
You'll need to take the assembly out of the grill. There are 2 pieces of metal you lift up and take out so you can take out the assembly to replace the headlights. See the owners manual. Unplug the headlight once you have the assembly out. The gear box that the adjusting rod was connected has a threaded rod extending out. You can spin the whole little box instead of having to turn the rod that broke. I had one light pointed almost strait down, my daughter hit a mailbox. I didn't want to brake the rod, and it wouldn't turn, so I spun it like a propeller 4 revolutions, and it's right at the same height as the drivers side now. Hope this helps someone.

Back