adjust the level of Aries step/nerf bars? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adjust the level of Aries step/nerf bars?

Rednutinc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT
So I went with Aries step/Nerf bars on my 2014 so my kid can get in and out easier. But like some others have said, they are not level front to back. Both sides are lower in the rear. The hardware was easy to install but except for a little slack here and there I don't see any way to truly adjust it like I feel is needed. There are two mounting holes in the rear one offset behind the other but I'm not sure a shim/spacer in there would work. Besides the supplied bolt with the tab that goes in the frame is only so long I don't have too much to work with there either.

Anyone have an idea or success with adjustment?

Thanks

So I went with Aries step/Nerf bars on my 2014 so my kid can get in and out easier. But like some others have said, they are not level front to back. Both sides are lower in the rear. The hardware was easy to install but except for a little slack here and there I don't see any way to truly adjust it like I feel is needed. There are two mounting holes in the rear one offset behind the other but I'm not sure a shim/spacer in there would work. Besides the supplied bolt with the tab that goes in the frame is only so long I don't have too much to work with there either.

Anyone have an idea or success with adjustment?

Thanks
Did you check out posts 36 and 45 in the following thread?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330920&highlight=level+nerf+bars

Peter

Actually I did. One says he guesses he could raise it and the other says they might make adjustments but neither say how they actually did it. There was nothing in my instructions on making such adjustments.

I called Aires and their tech guy admitted the rear is lower but had no explanation as to why. They said there is a new updated set of instructions and hardware pack now include shims to raise the bar and will send me some since I had the older version. While that solves the issue of the bar visually slanting that is a poor way to deal with a design flaw. The bracket was obviously not designed correctly and needs the change. But if not enough people said anything why should they make the costly change when shims solve it... Sort of. It still means the lowest part of the bracket is 1/2 inch or more too low. I'll update this when I get the shims.

So the shims came today and they should do the trick. Not happy I have to use shims to make it work but I like the look so I'll give it a shot. The down side is that I'm in eastern PA and I just got another round of snow and ice today, more coming this weekend, so I'm not all that interested in rushing out to do this right now... When it calms down a bit, I'll clean things up, take some pics and give the next update.

Back