adjust your TPS (another free hp mod) | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adjust your TPS (another free hp mod)

My parents have a 2000 Explorer Sport 4.0 and I am trying to help them out. Ten days ago the check engine light came on and every day since then the truck has been shifting harder and skipping gears between 2nd and 3rd back and forth constantly. My Father took it to Ford this week and they replaced the TPS sensor. Yesterday the light came on again and the truck started shifting hard. So today I drove to their house and scanned the truck with my SuperChipsTuner and "P1120 TPS VOLTAGE LOW" is what it read. Does this sound like a condition that might be cured by performing this TPS Mod? I find it strange since Ford just replaced the sensor this week. Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 Things

I would try this first. Adj the tps. disconnect the bat for 10 min. If not take it back to the stealer and have them fix it. Good Luck!:salute:

I checked the voltage and found 0.3v, moved the throttle and voltage was constant at 0.3v, it was a brand new TPS! Luckily the TPS from my old Lincoln that has been sitting next to the garage was identicle. I put the Lincoln TPS on the Explorer, adjusted it to 0.93v using the steps listed on the first page. Reset the computer and the truck ran fine, no more check engine light or shifting problems. Thanks! Now we just have to complain that the sensor was bad and try to get our money back. :thumbsup:

Anyone tried this on a 2005 4.0 yet, mine has a 4 wire TPS, from top the colors are
yellow
Red
Yellow
Brown/purplish with a white stripe
Need help identifying which wire to monitor .96V on

BTW been reading this Forum since I got my X approx 1 month, I think this forum is Great, and take this opportunity to thank all the posters for taking the time to share their ideas and testing results

Subsrcibing

Checked my TPS today, it read .889 vdc, I just had to loosen the screws to make the adjustment. Now it reads .963 vdc. I drove to work and it does seem to have a better response to my right foot. I don't know if I will see any improvement to my mileage, I only drive it on the weekends to my part-time job. Thanks for the tip.

you know, i did this, but i had set it on resistance instead... lol. i was like "WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING!?!?" so i gave up... next day i went out, realized my mistake, and when i corrected the setting it was at 1.7 volts or so, i have it down to 1.2, just need to file it out some more... those metal rings in the first generations are a *****, i'm using an off-brand dremel to do it, and it's just taking forever... i'm getting there though! i can all ready tell a slight difference in idle.

i am going to have to give this a shot once i get home

I will test and see if I need this mod

Adjusting the TPS is only needed for pre OBDII vehicles(before 1995). Those older vehicles require a set voltage for the TPS. Those older PCM's do not measure the idle voltage of the TPS, they assume that .990 volts is idle. That figure is built into those old PCM's. New PCM's have no idle voltage built into them, they take the idle voltage from the TPS.

Later vehicles do not need any adjustment, it is a waste of time.
The 95+ PCM's are smarter, they acquire the voltage from the TPS at each start of the engine. All calculations are made from that measurement. The only thing that matters is that the TPS voltage is not far far away from 1.0 volt. Anything within a half of a volt will be fine.

I adjusted the TPS on my 1994 4.0 ohv to exactly .960 volts and let me tell you that the results I have seen thus far are amazing. I was getting 1.046 volts before the mod. I did it like this. The screws seemed stuck to hell so I grabbed them with a vise grip and easily loosened them both, removed both screws with a standard phillips #2. After removing the TPS sensor, I placed the whole assembly in a drill press and drilled the metal housing out quite a bit. This metal housing was still completely there and I attached it back to the truck and just sort of wiggled it into position and tightened it down very well. Final voltage ended up at .960.
After starting the truck up I noticed an incredible difference right then. The throttle was much more responsive and the truck performed much better during idle and especially acceleration. I have a much more throaty sound now from the truck. I am very happy with this simple mod.
I hear that this mod is a waste of time for 1995 and up vehicles, but for my 1994 it is so far an ass whipper.
I hope that my gas mileage improves accordingly.
So has anyone actually seen a gas mileage increase with this mod? I have read this entire post before doing the mod and have not gotten a clear answer. I may be missing something, but if you have had a noticeable mileage increase please do tell.

About a week ago I replaced my fuel pressure regulator valve and solved some gas mileage issues I had been having, I started getting 20.2 mpg on the freeway up from 17. About a half a week ago I did the TPS mod and the truck seemed to run much better and smoother. I was very happy. Then I drove 250 miles. As soon as I got to the mountains the truck started running like ****. I got less then 14mpg. I went and bought a new TPS as I was on a vacation and didnt have all of my tools. The truck started running alot better, but my mileage is back to 17.1
Any ideas?

protomind did you redo the tps mod when you installed the new tps?

i would suggest reseting the computer to try and work out any kinks.

do you tap into the green and black wire? it just wasnt explained???

wait! it wont work for 95+? is that correct?

Do not mess with any TPS since the EECIV cars. The OBDII PCM is smart enough by design that it doesn't matter. So yes, don't touch your 95+ Explorer TPS. Those either work or they have failed, and the voltage is far far off(like 3volts at idle).

thanks for your help!!

Gladly, there are tons of things to do that will help, look through the threads for them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

I own a 2000 Explorer Sport 4WD 4.0l SOHC with 106k+ miles on it.
I had 1.14 volts, I modified and adjusted it to .96 volts and had a great change in pick up and response. It ran good before now it runs great.
Thank you very much for posting this information, it was very helpful.
Rob

Back